Forums are back in action! ×

New Rebel on the Hunt for a Profession: Ranger or Druid? Ranger-Druid?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here.

So here's my dilemma: I don't know which profession to choose right now.

I found my way here because a friend linked to the Hobbit's Guide to Walking article on my facebook feed. As I read Lord of the Rings years ago, I imagined myself and my body enduring the rigors and benefits of such a journey and this article made me realize I can be epic too!

As I read the Hunger Games trilogy earlier this year, I imagined myself having to survive in a post-apocalyptic world like District 12 in Panem and found myself wanting to try to learn archery, hiking and tree climbing.

And sometimes I have found myself imagining what I would have to do if there were suddenly a scenario where my city was attacked and we had to flee on foot to the Rockies on the horizon. How would I fare? How far would I get? And how well would I survive if I could reach those rocky crags and desolate forests?

And practically, I want to be able to meet all the challenges of real life right now, like hauling a week's worth of groceries up the stairs, sprinting to catch a bus, fending off an attacker, standing in line at Dragon*Con...

In this way, I fancy myself a Ranger.

Sounds clear cut right? Not so fast. I also believe I am a Druid.

In real life, right now, I am a belly dancer. I have studied (at times very intensively) for the last six years. I dance with Banat el Nile Middle Eastern Dance Academy and Performance Troupe and it is my biggest passion. I have the talent, inclination and mentor/troupe support to "go pro". This is my most immediate goal. So what's stopping me?

I'm 32 and I weigh 250 lbs. The first questions clients ask when calling to hire a dancer is, "Is she young? Is she hot?" My gorgeous, talented teacher and mentor loses gigs for being "too old" as she approaches 40. My academy would never be hired again if I were sent on a gig, despite the fact my teacher calls me her "strongest dancer". I need to change my body and I need to do it fast. I'm running out of time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4841[/ATTACH] <-- Druid balances sword on head.

Taking the "attractiveness is a symptom of fitness" mantra, I think the Ranger route would get me to my goals. And I just don't feel all nature-loving vegan la-dee-da the way the Druid profession is described. But at the same time, Ballet, Yoga and Pilates are all perfect for dancer's physiques.

And so, fellow-Rebels, what say you?

post-8813-13567244572881_thumb.jpg

veritate
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Level 1
Orc Adventurer/Enchantress
STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2
First Challenge: Orc emerges, sets foot on the path for the first time

Current Challenge: Orc Enchantress Ventures Out Once More

Welcome.

Read through the forums in the next couple of days and see which seems to relate to you the best or go where you'll get the kind of advice you need the most. There is also the adventurer's guild, they're a very supportive group and might be a good fit for your weight loss goal.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Welcome.

Read through the forums in the next couple of days and see which seems to relate to you the best or go where you'll get the kind of advice you need the most. There is also the adventurer's guild, they're a very supportive group and might be a good fit for your weight loss goal.

I agree, especially with the Six Week Challenge coming up.

I personally would say pick the class that suits most of your goals, and keep the rest of your goals regardless of whether or not they fit into that class.

Swimming is covered by the Scouts guild, but I've seen a few Rangers in the swimming threads. I've seen Assassin-style Rangers, Scout Rangers, Crossift-using Warriors (with Crossfit being described as a Ranger thing), etc.

Heck there are dancers of all levels here on NF (I've been dancing Swing for almost two years), regardless of class.

So don't worry about having to do everything that a certain class includes in its description.

*Puts two cents in jar*

Many thanks to both of you for your replies.

I have decided to go with being an Adventurer this time and we'll see how that goes.

For the Rebellion!

veritate
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Level 1
Orc Adventurer/Enchantress
STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2
First Challenge: Orc emerges, sets foot on the path for the first time

Current Challenge: Orc Enchantress Ventures Out Once More

Archived