Forums are back in action! ×

Gotta blow on this cartridge to get it it loaded just right..

Greetings Nerd Fitness Community!

First of all, I would to like commend the entire rebellion for creating such a positive and compassionate community! I don't I have to tell ANY of you about the amount of negativity found in MOST forums and boards, so I'll give ya'll a +2 CHA on just that alone..

I'm not much of a writer, so I thought I'd go bullet point style to relay my background:

RL Stats:

- 33, Male, 6'0"

- Married, wife and 2 kids!

- Live in the Bay Area

- Work as a Microbiologist

Interests:

- DJing, music (soul, jazz, hiphop, funk, downtempo, house, disco)

- Fitness (only recently), sports, parkour, Bar calisthenics, MovNat, Crossfit

- OTHER> Zen philosophy, Cooking, Camping, Alt-Comedy, Ancestral Health, Mycology, Efficiency, Science, Technology, Preparedness, Photography, Meditation

Previous Fitness Experience:

- Sports: Tennis, Volleyball, Basketball

- Started Crossfit September 2011, 4-5 days a week

Nerd Credentials:

- Video Games since Nintendo.. Started my rpg career with Dragon warrior!

- Had a chemistry set up until high school

- Loved and played with Transformers, Voltron, GoBots, Mask. and Legos.

- read most of Issac Asimov's fiction books (Foundation Series, Robot Series, and alot of the short story stuff)

- Computer gamer until 2011 - WoW, LoL, Diablo, Sim city, Starcraft, AoE, Quake, Counter Strike, Team Fortress, etc.

How I ran into Nerd Fitness:

- I've been a reader of the blog for about a year now.. The first article being "How to finally do a Pull-up."

Why I'd like to join the ranks:

I've been a "nerd" all my life, but was always confused about what that actually meant. I don't think the term "nerd" relates to how we look, but rather how our brain can intensely focus and "obsess" over a specific thing. I really like Chris Hardwick's (of the Nerdist) definition.. (paraphrasing) The Nerd Brain is like a Laser beam that becomes focused, with pin-point accuracy, on one thing.. It's our mutant power!

My laser beam was first pointed at Video Games.. The gratification of getting to the next level or grabbing that dope piece of gear for my character was all encompassing. The reward center in my brain would light up from all the accomplishments I could make in the game until it was finished. For me, Online gaming made it worse! Now I had constant reasons to play never-ending games with thousands of people.. The hours of the day dwindled.. I would play 30-40 hours a week..

(ps. I know lots of folks on here play video games, so no hate here! For me, they just didn't work for me ultimately..)

I was finally able to pull away the tractor beam away from video games.. instead moving it into the DJ scene of the Bay Area. I learned and listened and networked as much as I could until I was able to DJ at spots throughout the area. I think this is where my health started to really suffer. Staying out late, drinking, eating shitty food, etc., caused my body to become overweight for my frame and highly prone to getting sick.

I knew that treating my body this way was not sustainable.. I realized that I needed to start taking care of myself for me AND my family. My brother is a personal trainer, so I decided to go all in. He developed a Crossfit-Style program for me wife and I and hit that hard for about 9 months! Now that I am more confident in my fitness abilities, I am starting to develop my own program.. more based around bodyweight excercises and parkour/gymnastic skill development.

I'd like to join either the Rangers or Assassins for the upcoming challenge.. checking the both out!

Looking forward to interacting with the folks on here and helping others anyway I can..

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee

"...The Nerd Brain is like a Laser beam that becomes focused, with pin-point accuracy, on one thing.. It's our mutant power!"

I've been wondering whether I truly am a nerd since I am not totally lost on forum discussions and I quite like this site. You've just answered my question. Indeed, I possess nerd genes. ...and I am a mutant ...with power! :cool-new:

Welcome. You are quite the diverse character. I look forward to seeing you around the forums. :eagerness:

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

lightseeker, Level 1 Adventurer

STR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 4

[/TABLE]

"Let nothing dim the light that shines from within." maya angelou

My Challenge | The Paleo Spot

A fellow zen student! Welcome. :) Look forward to seeing you around the boards!

Thanks! I wouldn't even consider myself a student yet.. just someone that is interested in how my mind works and this way of thinking seems to help me makes some sense of it..

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee

Cool to see another DJ around. Even if you don't spin DnB. :tongue:

HA! I used to be into DnB back in the day.. but never dj'ed it.. I used to like folks like LTJ and London Elektricity and folks on the jazzier tip.

I guess I am older now and like slower stuff :P

"...The Nerd Brain is like a Laser beam that becomes focused, with pin-point accuracy, on one thing.. It's our mutant power!"

I've been wondering whether I truly am a nerd since I am not totally lost on forum discussions and I quite like this site. You've just answered my question. Indeed, I possess nerd genes. ...and I am a mutant ...with power! :cool-new:

Welcome. You are quite the diverse character. I look forward to seeing you around the forums. :eagerness:

Thank you! I like it here :) I've been reading for awhile, but I guess my "zeroth" challenge was to join the boards and try to participate.

Glad you were feeling the nerd definition.. like I said above, It's not mine, but I am a fan of Chris's comedy and podcast and that way of describing what a nerd is, really spoke to me..

Looking forward to seeing you crush a challenge soon!

Archived