Forums are back in action! ×

Just saying hello

Greetings, All. I have been a silent visitor to NF for a couple of weeks now. I've read a lot of the threads and the newsletters faithfully, gaining knowledge and insight (and much needed comedic relief!) as I go along. Now that the new six week challenge has started it seemed like a great time to officially join the Rebellion. There is not a whole lot I can say about where I am that hasn't already been said before. Like many others, I am a repeat offender. I would try this diet or that diet and give 100% effort in the first couple of weeks only to drop down to somewhere around half-assed. And that is when I quit. I have gained, lost, gained, lost a lot and then gained even more. Something better comes along. Life happens. Excuses are made. You know the story. Pretty defeating behavior, is it not? So what makes me think I can do this now?

Well...

1. I am ready to make a permanent change (and not just do this until I lose "x" amount of weight.) I am ready to embrace a whole new lifestyle (and not just go on yet another "diet.") I am no longer merely interested in losing weight, gaining strength and changing my health. Interest for one thing only sticks around until something more interesting hits the scene. I am now determined. I will let nothing throw me off course.

2. I am more than ready to implement lifelong behaviors that will make me feel great - physically and mentally. I want changes that will endure not only throughout my lifetime but also be a big part of my children's lives.

3. For generations our family has had health issues such as obesity and diabetes. We have all just accepted that those things "run in the family." Why have none of us (or very few of us) ever really questioned why it runs in the family? Well, because we live and eat the same way every generation that came before us did. If we do the same things, how can we expect a different results? It is time to change things up and give my children and future grandchildren a new legacy - a healthy lifestyle.

4. I finally recognize that this is a journey with multiple destinations and I will never be "finished." There will always be another goal to make, another path to travel.

5. I no longer wish to go from Zero to Sixty only to end up back at Zero from taking on too much too fast. I will set attainable goals and then pace myself to achieve each one. After all, slow and steady wins the race, right?

6. I am very weary of my tendency to be a perfectionist. Some might think that is a good quality but we perfectionists know that it is not always a great thing. I have always been an all or nothing kinda gal. I would start out at 100% but then when I started to fall below that level, I burned out quickly. I got bored/frustrated/defeated and gave up. I will stop focusing on the finish line and remember to enjoy all of the smaller victories along the way. I will make a list of them so that when I start bumming out at how far I have to go, I won't forget how far I have already traveled. Each day better than the day before.

...and last but certainly not least...

7. This just feels right! For the first time in my life, this feels like something I want to be doing instead of something I should be doing. It is time for me to be the Alpha of my own life and my own journey and stop listening to all of the people that think they know what's best for me. It's my life. My decisions. Yeah, I'm a rebel like that. (:

So, nice to meet y'all. I'm happy to be here. In fact, I can't wait to get started!

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

lightseeker, Level 1 Adventurer

STR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 4

[/TABLE]

"Let nothing dim the light that shines from within." maya angelou

My Challenge | The Paleo Spot

Hey, welcome! :)

I'm with you on that perfectionism trap. As a former card-carrying member of the Perfectionism League, I went through the "get it all right or don't do it at all" cycle so many times. It screws up diet/eating goals *so* fast. But you've got the right attitude--each day better than the day before! :D

Since you're eager to get started, you should join in the 6 week challenge! ^_^ Pop over to the Adventurers folder and say hello!

Looking forward to traveling with you on this fitness and life journey.

Dwarf Adventurer

Level: 0 <--so sad!

STR:2 DEX:2 STA:2 CON:2 WIS:3 CHA:4

"You give into distraction as if it is a murderer. You lay there, waiting to be killed. Today: fight for your life." -Miranda July

Current Challenge:--Slaying the Beast of Maybe Tomorrow

Thanks for the welcome, Green Fairy! Sorry for the long post - I needed to put all of that out there for myself. Maybe it wasn't the right place to do so? In any event, I look forward to seeing you around. Now, off to the Challenge...! :bee:

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

lightseeker, Level 1 Adventurer

STR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 4

[/TABLE]

"Let nothing dim the light that shines from within." maya angelou

My Challenge | The Paleo Spot

Naw, this was totally the place for the long, goal-creating, focusing post. :)

Don't apologize for the long post. A lot of people use this "introduce yourself" area as a place to gather thoughts and make them really concrete. If that takes you a few paragraphs, that's good. You have a clear idea of what you want, and that makes it easier to achieve.

Dwarf Adventurer

Level: 0 <--so sad!

STR:2 DEX:2 STA:2 CON:2 WIS:3 CHA:4

"You give into distraction as if it is a murderer. You lay there, waiting to be killed. Today: fight for your life." -Miranda July

Current Challenge:--Slaying the Beast of Maybe Tomorrow

Archived