Forums are back in action! ×

A question about resting/off-days.

omnombiscuits

Hi gang!

So for this six-week challenge business, I'm working on training for an eventual 5K. I'm running every other day, and thought that on my rest days, I'd do bodyweight arm workouts. However, I also would love to do the lower-body bodyweight workouts.

My question: Is it better to have a COMPLETE off-day from running, with no strenuous activity and no bodyweight training, to let my muscles heal/rebuild? Or is it better to do the bodyweight workouts on my off days, as working out my leg muscles means stronger legs, which means better running?

Any advice here would be awesome.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why the biscuits? An old friend once noticed (and mentioned) that whenever I’m excited,

my face tends toward a huge, open-mouthed grin, as if to indicate, I want a biscuit!

“It’s your biscuit face,†he said, and it’s stuck ever since.

Guardian of Grammar | Dabbler in Nerdery |

6-Week-Challenger

What I usually do full-body workouts most "rest" days, but leave one day of complete rest so that all muscles can recover. I feel like it gives me the best of both worlds. It also gives me a bit of flexibility in my week so that if I'm really busy one day I can take it off from exercise and still be improving both my running and strength.

If you feel like you don't need a rest day though, don't take it. I agree with baloo: Listen to your body. Each person reacts differently. When your body needs rest, it'll tell you - your lifting will stop improving and your running will feel sluggish.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

Mark Twain

I strength train or run 6 days a week, with a 7th devoted to Yoga. And have done this a long time, pretty much since I started the couch to 5K program almost a year ago.

You can run fine on muscles sore from leg strength training. Just don't expect to run fast (as in setting new speed PR's).

If you are still doing C to 5K, go nuts, you are a long way from being able to run in the way that will be seriously affected by strength training, and vice versa a long way from the sort of run workouts that will seriously affect strength training.

For the most part for non-serious 5K training (as in you aren't actually going to be competitive in the race, just doing it to do it) you are working on your wind, your aerobic engine. How sore your legs are or aren't is pretty irrelevant.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I run 3 days a week, lift 3 days a week (obviously alternating), and do jack**** one day a week :tongue: It's going to change for me when I get to school (will be throwing swords into the mix), but i still want to make sure I have one rest day. I think it's important for me to have that one day so I can fully regenerate.

Like the others said: Listen to your body. If you don't feel like you need the rest day, don't take it. Just make sure you're not hurting yourself in the process! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

Level 2 - Second Challenge in Progress

.: STR: 3 .:. DEX: 3.5 .:. STA: 7 .:. CON: 2.75 .:. WIS: 4.5 .:. CHA: 6 :.

.:Donate to my Down and Dirty Run :.

τὸ χρεὼν ἐπήρτηται· ἕως ζῇς, ἕως ἔξεστιν, ἀγαθὸς γενοῦ.

Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

"Hey, at least you are going out there pooping on elevated surfaces and giving your best! That's what matters right?" - Elefevers the Wise

Basically i'm on the same 'listen to your body' idea as the others. But i'd also like to suggest you try it slowly.. Maybe do some light squats and dips, chinups on your non-running day and see how it affects your running and feeling-well. If that works well expand on it.

I once did daily bodyweight exercises AND running for 2 months. In the morning i would run 3,3km and in the evening i'd do a set 3 exercises. I cycled the 3 exercises and also tried to adjust the speed of the 3km on the daily well-being. Worked quite well for me.

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

I'm terrible for taking full time off

I train 2x day, 6 days a week right now. The one day I have completely off I always try and do some form of active recovery (eg: walk a couple of miles into my town etc).

It really is just about listening to your body. If your work capacity is suffering, you may need some recovery time.

GoToTheGround"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo TolstoyTwitter | My 130lb weight-loss journey in photos & words 

Thank you for the advice, everyone! I will indeed pay attention to how my bod feels. Good to know that a lot of you are doing 6 days/week with good results--and I'm super impressed!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why the biscuits? An old friend once noticed (and mentioned) that whenever I’m excited,

my face tends toward a huge, open-mouthed grin, as if to indicate, I want a biscuit!

“It’s your biscuit face,†he said, and it’s stuck ever since.

Guardian of Grammar | Dabbler in Nerdery |

6-Week-Challenger

I work out pretty relentlessly on weekdays (between 3 and 5 workouts per day, lasting between 30 minutes to an hour). Saturdays I get two workouts (one about 30 minutes, and one about 2 hours). Sundays are my "play day". I just do fun stuff. One scheduled workout at 7:00 AM to get my body moving for the day, then I play all freaking day. This "play" counts as anything I deem as fun. Sometimes I'll spend 2 hours sparring with some friends. We all enjoy it, keep it non-competitive, and only occasionally break each other (no, I'm not joking). Sometimes I play CTF or Ultimate Frisbee. I've even been known to go to a local playground and build a 4 foot tall sand castle in the giant sand pit. It's fun, and it keeps me from sitting on my rear end playing WoW or Capcom Vs. Marvell for hours on end. You'd be surprised how restful just acting like a 5 year old can be.

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

STR: 8   STA: 10

AGI: 10   WIS: 5

CON: 7   CHA: 4

We must DARE to be GREAT;

and we must realize that GREATNESS is

the FRUIT of TOIL and SACRIFICE and HIGH COURAGE

I was wondering the same thing and decided to do them both on the same day, but Waldo made perfect sense when he said

If you are still doing C to 5K, go nuts, you are a long way from being able to run in the way that will be seriously affected by strength training, and vice versa a long way from the sort of run workouts that will seriously affect strength training.

Human Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

6 Week Challenge

"I'm not gonna build a wall, I'm gonna lay this brick as perfectly as it can be laid - you do that every day and soon you have a wall." -Will Smith

Archived