Forums are back in action! ×

Rebounding? Yes/No?

Legacy

Is it a good source of exercise? I've been reading a lot of things that say it's really beneficial. I haven't seen a thread about it here. I was given a mini-trampoline by my sister a while ago, and it just kind of stayed in storage. Should I add it to my routine?

I got one for free that I used 'til I broke it. I'd say it's good to do while watching movies and stuff. Reading up on the benefits to lymph fluid and stuff was kinda convincing, but not enough to make me replace the one I broke with a new one.

Kinda fun, felt like I was in an 80's workout video. :)

I've been using a rebounder/mini-trampoline for a few years now, and much more seriously and regularly in the last six months or so. Mainly I use it for jogging/running on rather than bouncing. It feels like much lower impact than jogging on solid ground, which is good for me because of my flat feet.

The main advantages I've found are that - as Kirkor said - you can watch TV at the same time. I just turn the volume up a few notches and start jogging. I can't use bad weather as an excuse and it spares me from having to go running in public. It's in my front room, so there's no need to commute or travel there.

I'm sceptical about some of the health benefits claimed by the companies who sell rebounders - in some cases rather dubious looking alternative health/medicine suppliers. One quote that is used over and over in any article about rebounding is one about something that 'NASA' allegedly said about rebounding being the best form of exercise. Well, there is an academic paper, but from memory the quote has been taken out of context, and is actually about effectiveness in restoring bone density in astronauts after weightlessness. Or something like that. I've no idea how reliable the lymph node claims are. My rebounder came with a free 'exercise' guide which I found deeply unconvincing in places - there are no magic short cuts, and rebounding is not a magic bullet. But it is true that it's an easy, convenient, fun way to start exercising more. I now pretty much jog/run on it, but when I was starting out I could just walk, or job very slowly, or bounce a little or a lot. All better than watching TV from my armchair.

After reading advice on this site, I've recently changed from just calorie counting and jogging for 30-60 mins at a time to include body weight training (the basic version) and some interval training. One problem with the rebounder is that I think it limits how fast I can run and how hard I can push myself - I'm sure I could get faster speeds and more burn either on a treadmill or on the road. With a rebounder I can jog on the spot and run to a certain extent, but I don't think I can put everything into a sprint.

TL:DR: I'd recommend it as an easy and fun way to do more exercise, but be sceptical about the hype.

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

I'd recommend it as an easy and fun way to do more exercise, but be sceptical about the hype.

Thanks guys. It's just a little hard to believe bouncing up and down helps you burn calories, but hey, all for cardio variation. I'll add it to my workout.

Rule number nine: We question everything, lol. Yes, I've been running on the treadmill, but I didn't warm up enough on Monday and I've been working out with a shin splint all week. I can't just not workout, especially during the challenges, so hopefully the low impact will help.

Well, for the most part, rebounding is considered unhealthy, but there are a few cases where it has resulted in happy and healthy relationships. Just ask yourself if you "need someone" or you "need HIM/HER". That should help.

Wait, what? Trampolines?

Oh.

Oh, my.

I'll just...yeah.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

Well, for the most part, rebounding is considered unhealthy, but there are a few cases where it has resulted in happy and healthy relationships. Just ask yourself if you "need someone" or you "need HIM/HER". That should help.

Wait, what? Trampolines?

Oh.

Oh, my.

I'll just...yeah.

Hahaha, I thought the same thing when I saw the title. Oops! Trampolines, yes, I get it now *blushing*

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 1 Amazon Adventurer

My Intro |Current Challenge|Battle Log

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

Wait, what? Trampolines?

Oh.

Oh, my.

I'll just...yeah.

Thank you realbrickwall. That made my day. :)

Hahaha, I thought the same thing when I saw the title. Oops! Trampolines, yes, I get it now *blushing*

Glad I'm not alone! Hahaha!

I'm the camp of any movement is better than no movement, but the hype does seem a little overblown. Practice enough and maybe you can make it to Brazil 2016 for Trampoline! (The IOC decided it was a real sport so....)

No matter how slow you're going, you're still lapping everyone on the couch.

Hobbit Adventurer
STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 4 CON - 5.25 WIS - 5 CHA - 6.5

Yes. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it can cure cancer. No joke about the hype. I'll have to see if I can find it again and post the link. I just need something low-impact to take pressure off my shin, and I despise stationary cycling.

I'd be a bit careful with rebounding with shin splints. I've got a combination of flat feet and tight calf muscles, and I've had shin splints before now. At least some of these things are linked. I found bouncing (either with or without my toes leaving the mat) placed a bit of a strain on my calf muscles, and so moved to jogging instead. I'm not really sure what 'low impact' actually means, but I think rebounding is probably easier on some joints/muscles than others, and it might be that its the calf muscles that bear the brunt. But I suspect you'll know fairly quickly if it's not a good idea....

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

Archived