Forums are back in action! ×

Injuries suck

So I stumbled across nerd fitness about a month ago and instantly became addicted with the energy and enthusiasm of Steve's articles and the Rebel Fitness community in general. For the past couple weeks I have been attempting to follow the Paleo diet and switched my weightlifting to exclusively freeweights. This was after a year of making only moderate progress of using exercise machines and doing isolation workouts, like a newb. Unfortunately, when I started doing freeweights, the deadlifts I performed were about the worst I could do and resulted in straining my lower back. After taking a break for a week, I started doing a bodyweight circuit routine to ease myself back into heavier weights. This ended with my back this past saturday feeling as bad as right after the initial injury. So I'm wondering what any of you advise for getting back into weightlifting after an injury and how long I should reasonably expect recovery to occur. Apologies for my rambling, this was typed in some haste.

Have someone check your technique on the deadlift once your back is well again! Or at least learn more about the proper form. Read the book "Starting Strength" from "Mark Rippetoe". There is an unofficial wiki about the book: http://startingstrength.wikia.com and some FAQ about the lifts: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts#The_Deadlift

Also listen to the doctor and give your back really enough time to heal and do not start earlier.

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

I am happy to announce I am back on the horse (so to speak) after taking a couple weeks off. I've watched the guides on this site and I am absolutely positive I have proper with both squats and deadlifts (which were both the problem exercises with my lower back injured). I've been taking it easy, using just the bar and while my back is a little bit sore after a workout, by the next morning it is completely gone and I feel great. Not quite to the weights I want to do yet, but I'd rather do a lighter workout with proper technique and no injury than the opposite.

And thanks again for the responses and helpful advice.

I suppose I should actually do a bit of introduction as well (only 3 weeks after the initial post :D ). I'm a 25 year old Eastern Washington native with a farming family and an interest in Taoism. I am a nerd at heart with a love of comic books, movies, video games, and novels (my two favorite authors being Glen Cook and Roger Zelazny). My 2 year college degree was recently completed and in a few weeks I will be starting an accounting program for my bachelor's degree. Until I seriously started working out and weightlifting a year ago, I was the epitome of a couch potato and had the physique to prove it. Along with this, both of my parents have dealt with chronic medical issues since my high school graduation. I helped them as best I could but this often left me sapped and lacking the will to do anything with my life. In May of 2011 when starting a new job I was able to refocus and determine how best to help my family, meet my goals, and most importantly how not to destroy myself in the process. While going through this process, a co-worker and now friend of mine convinced me to join him at the gym during our lunch to do some weightlifting. Since then I have expanded my knowledge on the subject and become addicted to the feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment from a good work-out. In the subsequent year I have lost 30 pounds and I am in the best shape of my life. The best part is that I still have great room for progress and I am fully committed to this being a life style, instead of a temporary change to my routine.

In addition to my various hobbies and interests I also consider myself a great cook, and would be happy to help anyone with questions about a healthy diet and cooking for themselves.

Archived