Forums are back in action! ×

Neck Pain From Pull-Ups?

realbrickwall

So, I finally installed my at-home pull-up bar. Now, I'm just a low-level nerd, so I can't do a real pull-up yet, so I took some advice I see everywhere and did a negative pull-up to start training.

And then my neck exploded in pain.

Now, I'm okay. It's not the worst pain I've felt even this week, and it's almost positively muscular. But, still! I didn't think that was an at-risk area. I think I did something wrong.

So, uh, tell me what it was so I can train safely. I'll be fine (seriously, I feel better already, and it was 5 minutes ago), but I want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

Check out Mobilitywod.com- he has a really good video on good form for pull ups. Make sure you keep your chin slighly tucked, don't look up at the bar. When you look up at the bar you put your neck under stress.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

In certain movements it's kind of easy to strain muscles in your neck. Basically you end up pushing your head forward or pulling it back in an effort to assist whatever muscles are actually supposed to be doing the lift. Your neck doesn't like that, so pain. Keep an eye out the next time you do pullups and see what your head is doing, it could very well be that.

Archived