Forums are back in action! ×

Multivitamins?

Ghost

There are dozens of multivitamin advertisements on TV lately. I've attributed that to the Olympics.

They all preach better health, and that's something I would love.

Of course, I'm quite skeptical of these advertisements.

My nutrition isn't poor, but I would say it is below average.

I've been considering a multivitamin, even if it is just to experiment with any changes.

But I would like to be a bit better educated on the, have a few other opinions.

Some might say to just eat more, but I do have trouble eating enough sometimes.

Not that I feel hungry most of the time.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated!

Even if you don't do a multi (and even if you do, for that matter), you might want to consider Vitamin D, Magnesium, and Fish Oil as separate things. My understanding is that Magnesium deficiency is fairly common, they just keep raising the amount of VitD you should get, and Fish Oil is apparently good for your everything (keep it in the freezer if you get any, makes it less likely to taste like the deep sea a half hour after you take it, plus somethingorother about oxidizing).

I took a multi-vitamin when in college because I wasn't the primary cook in my house and my roommates loved their meat and potatoes and little else. I also didn't have the same interest in getting healthy as I do now, I just realised that I needed to do something. Although it was nice then, I really never much liked taking them, and now that I'm eating much healthier I'm happy to not do so. When I first looked into them the pharmacist even told me that I should just try and eat more veggies instead of getting a daily.

This too, shall pass.

Yep, I do a multivitamin, just to cover my bases, like you said. I basically went for the multivit with the lowest % of everything in it...in other words, I didn't want to be ingesting 8000% of all the vitamins in one little pill every day. That just wigs me out, and a lot of vitamins can be toxic in high doses. So I take a plain jane, no fancy extras (no ginseng, no lycopene, etc), ordinary multivitamin. I also take a low-dose D3 pill and an extra B12 pill because I know I'm low in both of those. I was taking an extra iron supplement because I have a history of low iron, but now that I am doing paleo and eating a ton way more meat, I've dropped the extra iron pill to avoid getting too much iron.

Anyhoo, I take One-a-day brand vitamins because I read a study awhile back stating that a bunch of the vitamin pills were tested and one-a-day came closest to actually containing the amount of each vitamin it is advertised to contain. I can't remember where I read that article...if I find it I'll edit this post with a link.

Good luck with your vitamin search! :)

Like I said, I'm very skeptical about miracle pills. I'm not looking for a boost of energy or anything, I'm looking for something to fill in the gaps, I don't want enhanced eyesight from vitamin A (or something). I guess I'm expecting a sense of slightly better health. Nothing dramatic.

My diet, well, my diet is shambles.

I'll tell you what I have to eat on a normal day, it's terrible. Actually, there is no point telling, the only regular thing I have is 3 eggs.

Now that I'm really thinking about it, I'm not eating anywhere near enough, or the right things.

I'll need to make a new goal to eat right and eat more.

It's a bit harder to eat what I should eat because I don't buy the food. I don't even have a job or a license.

I guess a good chat to my mum and I can start making some changes.

But I still think I need to cover my bases while I make the changes.

I use a GNC AMP product http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11745458&cp=3593185.12961109#productTabset that has more than the daily recommened amount of vitamins for everything but magnesium. I may have to consider adding one to my suppliment mix. I also take an omega-3 capsule daily.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

I am no expert, but I have read that what you eat/drink when taking a multivitamin can be important. For example, taking a calcium/magnesium or Vitamin D supplement with orange juice is recommended since the Vitamin C from the orange juice can help your body absorb the supplement(s) more efficiently. Likewise, taking most any supplement with coffee (or most any stimulant) is not recommended since it can hinder or prevent absorption, making the supplement useless. It wouldn't be a bad idea to read up on this a little to ensure you are maximizing the potential of any supplement you take.

Most multivitamins make me nauseous as well, I talked to a pharmacist and she said that I probably couldn't handle that much Iron all at once. I switched to one with a lower Iron content and it's fine. I think a lot of them also have lactose, but I don't know if it would be enough to irritate someone with a sensitivity.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wildling Adventurer

Level 1

--------------------------------------------------------------

STR: 2| CON: 1 | DEX: 3 | WIS: 5 | END: 2 | CHA: 5

Archived