Forums are back in action! ×

I'm through lurking!

Hey all,

My name is Dave, I live in Northern Delaware, and I've been a Nerd Fitness lurker for about 2 years. I've participated in some of the larger challenges, but my day to day workouts suffer lately, and I've grown frustrated with the lack of progress. So I'm taking Steve's advice from a year ago, and joining the rebellion fully.

My background: like so many others, I was fit in high school. Never bulky, I did a lot of bodyweight work and was very lean (my school offered a fitness/weightlifting class instead of a generic kickball gym classes). All of that changed when I developed an EverCrack addiction in college. I piled on about 60 lbs by the time I quit MMOs, and had no idea how to get back. I tried numerous workouts, and everything fizzled out, and I seemed to even creep up in size (it wasn't muscle). I took the challenge last year here at NF, and started shaving weight off through diet and exercise, losing 30lbs in the past year.

I keep going back and forth as to what I want for myself. I am at 180lbs now, and I know I want to firm up as well as increase my stamina/strength. Running has become a love of mine, but I'm just as interested in Parkour as I am in marathons. I read Born to Run, and it changed my world. I'm also a full barefoot convert.

I'm a nerd in every sense of the word. Legend of Zelda is best video game series, Dark Knight is the strongest movie Trilogy, and I used to tabletop D&D (pre 4th ed) and LARP Vampire the Masquerade. I think the only thing I can't geek out about are cars, and even in that I love my Jeep and wish I knew more about modding it.

So yeah. I am going to jump in on the current 6 week challenge now, and hopefully in the coming months figure out a more organized methods for meeting my current set of life goals (Legend of Zelda themed for both fitness and practical skills).

Yay! Not only a fellow LoZ fan, but a fellow player of Vampire the Masquerade! My old character was a Ventrue, though its been about four years since I've even played. I want to get back into it though. I miss it, but the people I used to LARP with moved. Nice to meet you and welcome to our community.

Thanks Legacy! I'm glad to finally be a part of the community.

I've been a LoZ fan since it was released; I remember preordering the old gold cartridge in 1985, even though I was 4 years old. As to VtM, I am a Toreador through and through. I stopped about a year ago.

:) I grew up with the gold cartridge too, even though I'm a '90 baby. For the longest time, all we had was a NES with Zelda, Super C, Castlevania, and a few Mario games. I didn't beat it until I was much older, but it'll always remember just wandering around the map. What's your favorite? Mine is probably ALttP, because it's the first one I completed.

Oh definitely A Link to the Past. It is best combination of simplicity in design and elegance of the series. I appreciate the detail in the later ones, and the challenge, but I feel like so much of the story and world was lost as they started giving names and backstory to the supporting cast.

Dark Knight strongest trilogy? Really? The Dark Knight is my absolute favorite super hero movie, and no villain performance will ever come close to Heath Ledger's, but the trilogy as a whole can't be said to be better than Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, or Indiana Jones.

Good luck with your goals and the current challenge though! You might want to combine it with a diet plan too!

P.S. A link to the past is the only Zelda game I haven't completed besides skyward sword... Probably because I had it for gameboy...

Neutral Good-High Elf Warrior

What we move is far less important than what moves us.

Razor's Three-Fortnight Challenge

Hey Razor!

Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot to include that I already follow a mostly Paleo lifestyle, though my weaknesses have gained some footholds of late (ice cream, the occasional cheesesteak).

And don't get me wrong; Star Wars (4,5,6), Lord of the Rings (minus the last hour of Return), and Indiana Jones are great trilogies... I just thought that Nolan's Batman had the most consistency across all three movies.

Hey Razor!

Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot to include that I already follow a mostly Paleo lifestyle, though my weaknesses have gained some footholds of late (ice cream, the occasional cheesesteak).

And don't get me wrong; Star Wars (4,5,6), Lord of the Rings (minus the last hour of Return), and Indiana Jones are great trilogies... I just thought that Nolan's Batman had the most consistency across all three movies.

Really? I've never seen somebody with that opinion of them before. I'd venture to say it's the opposite. Other than Dark Knight, the movies despite having an absolutely GREAT cast and aethstetic had a muddled plot and tons of sequences and scenes that were arbitrary and just didn't need to be in the movie. Especially rises...

Have you seen the Tim Burton ones? Or the one with Val Kilmer?

Hey Locke! Welcome! I'm also a former lurker who decided to come out of the shadows and fully enlist in the Rebellion.

Razor, we can't have a discussion of great trilogies without mentioning Back to the Future (yeah, yeah I know 3 sucked :smug:)

Porkins

Human Adventurer, Star Pilot, and Bacon Aficionado-(Lvl 3)
STR 4.5 | DEX 1.5 | STA 6.5 | CON 9 | WIS 1.75 | CHA 5.75

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try" ~Yoda/ Veritas vos liberabit

1, 2, Current Challenge

Hey Locke! Welcome! I'm also a former lurker who decided to come out of the shadows and fully enlist in the Rebellion.

Razor, we can't have a discussion of great trilogies without mentioning Back to the Future (yeah, yeah I know 3 sucked :smug:)

I was going to mention back to the future, because I know it's one of the best trilogies of all time, but I have not watched the third >_>. So I did not feel I was qualified to list it.

Archived