Forums are back in action! ×

Climbing back on the wagon

sashi

So, as some of you may know, I went on vacation a few weeks back. I expected to lose ground, but an illness during my vacation, really put a damper on my workouts. I guess there's a two-fold reason for this thread. One is to get some extra support. Another is to see if the work I've done this week really is as sad as it seems to me.

First, if you want the whole sordid vacation story, feel free to read it here. Second, if you want see where I left off before vacation, here is my last challenge thread.

So, coming off my god-awful experience with salmonella, I hit the gym the Monday I got back. Monday I also tried to get back on my LG diet, although I've been a bit bad with my macros. Here's this week's work. I feel like it isn't much, but I also feel like I struggled to just do what I did.

Monday

Bench Press:

1x5 45lbs

1x5 65lbs

5x5 80lbs

These surprised me. Hard, but I managed.

Squats:

1x5 65lbs

1x5 95lbs

5/5/5/5/4 105lbs

I was getting light-headed on the last reps, and the last set it got the best of me. But I was still struggling with that itty-bitty weight. I chose 105 because of how heavy 95 felt.

I was done after that. I just wanted to go home and rest.

Wednesday

Squats:

1x5 65lbs

1x5 95lbs

3x5 110lbs

I went up the five lbs because I thought I could handle it. Three sets were rough, though, and I stopped after that to allow myself time for my other lifts.

OHPs:

1x5 45lbs

4/4/3/3/3 55lbs

I was surprised to be able to do even this, given my running history with OHPs. Seems like upper body did not suffer as much as lower.

Deadlifts:

1x5 95lbs

1x3 135lbs

1x3 165lbs

1x3 135lbs

I had wanted to hit 5 reps at 165, but it was just too much. I did 165 with mixed grip -- didn't even try double overhand, although I've handily done that before. I was sad.

Friday

Front Squats:

1x5 45lbs

1x5 65lbs

5x5 75lbs

Almost lost my balance on a couple of reps, but kept it together.

Bench Press:

1x5 45lbs

1x5 65lbs

4/3/3 80lbs

2x5 75lbs

Dropped the weight because I just couldn't do the 80 I did on Monday.

3x10 30lb dumbell swings... just because.

So, all said, I'm happy to be back in the gym, but I am not happy with my performance. DOMS this week have been hell -- I have not felt that level since fairly early in my training.

Anyway, thank you in advance. Sorry I've been away (I did take some quick peeks into a few fellow warriors' challenge threads!).

Old Battle Log

I think that considering you're coming back to lifting after having gone hiking in the Andes with Salmonella you're doing pretty well. Take care of yourself, eat good things, and feel better.

Thank you! I was pretty proud of myself to get right back in the gym on return, but motivation took a nosedive when I saw just how much progress I had lost.

Old Battle Log

Wow, all I can say is Wow. Salmonella wreaks havoc on a body, I can't believe you're lifting as well as you are now so soon after recovering. You really are She-Ra (awesome avatar, btw)! Hope your DOMS resolves soon and you can't be too hard on yourself, you're still doing great!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 1 Amazon Adventurer

My Intro |Current Challenge|Battle Log

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

Archived