Forums are back in action! ×

Pedometer recommendation

Elastigirl

I currenly have 3 differant pedometers. None of them are anywhere near accurate. I have some b-day money ($30) and would like to get a good pedometer. My budget isn't going to allow me to spring for the Fitbit, but does any have some recommendations for a good, solid pedometer that isn't too expensive?

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I think it's a waste of money. Do you have a smartphone? There are many cheaper apps that use the phone's motion sensor as a pedometer. It's essentially the same mechanism pedometers use.

No smartphone. I use a Mapmywalk on the computer right now. But we are going on vacation and I may not have internet access and one of my goals is to walk 16 miles a week, so I want to keep track of my mileage. I thought I would just use my pedometer until I figured out how inaccurate they were by comparing them to map my walk.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I bought a Gaiam pedometer for around $30 a couple of years ago. It looks like this one. It doesn't count steps if you just shake it up and down (unlike my cousin's Pokewalker) so I assume it is better than the cheap ones, but it will count steps if carried in pocket, belt, bag, bra, worn around the neck or clipped to the belt (the clip is removable). It's nice and light, no complaints. I haven't counted my steps to see if it is accurate, nor have I made much use of the calorie counter. I disabled the sound and it's still going strong after a couple years on the same battery.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

My cheap one died so I'm currently testing 2 apps for my iPhone, Runtastic Pedometer and a free pedometer app. I'll know more later today, I'm running a calibration test all day today

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

App review

Neither app is appropriate to set and track a full days steps. I tried both and they ran my iPhone battery down to nothing by 10am. Either would probably be ok for tracking fixed set times for walking as in a workout time.

Of the two the Free Pedometer one seemed best. Runtastic's Pedometer continually wanted me to sign up and was more cumbersome to use.

Still searching for something that I can just track an entire days' steps with easily.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

App review

Neither app is appropriate to set and track a full days steps. I tried both and they ran my iPhone battery down to nothing by 10am. Either would probably be ok for tracking fixed set times for walking as in a workout time.

Of the two the Free Pedometer one seemed best. Runtastic's Pedometer continually wanted me to sign up and was more cumbersome to use.

Still searching for something that I can just track an entire days' steps with easily.

Thanks for the info!

Archived