Forums are back in action! ×

My journey officially starts tomorrow!

Hello all,

My name is growingwings.

I just found this website a week ago. I have spent that time reading past articles and making small changes suggested in a few of the articles. I started a very simple fitness program this week. I did 2 sets of 20 body weight squats, calf raises, straight legged sit-ups to v-ups, chess press with 25 lb medicine ball and flies/tricep curls. More impressively in my eyes was the ninja productivity skills I employed: I slashed my email inbox from 2,000+ to less than 20, unsubscribed from all lists (except of course NF), and created the suggested folders.

So I start off this journey as a new adventurer at 250lbs. I was an athlete for most of my life until a broken wrist ended my softball career. Over the last 12 years, I have added around 100lbs of fat to my frame. I am ready for this fat and lazy stage of my life to be over. . . and thus begins the hardworking and fat stage of my life (followed by the fit and fabulous stage of course.)

I am in the process of putting together a diy gym in my backyard. I have made three diy medicine balls, currently braiding some heavy ropes from retired climbing ropes, made a trx style trainer using some cam-buckle ties and have one 5 gallon bucket to fill with water or sand. Now if I could just get rid of the wasps that have made a home in the clothes line poles I would be ready for business.

Speaking of business, tomorrow I run the Warrior Dash! I figured there could be no better starting point then running an obstacle course with very little training. I am also already signed up for a Spartan Sprint next May, so this will be one of the main goals I will be training for.

Sorry to be so long, I am just too excited!

growingwings

New Adventurer aiming to become a Ranger and ultimately maybe an assassin or monk.

GrowingWings' First Challenge Thread

What about your diet? What you put into your body is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than what you do with your body. That's the big lifestyle change and something you can't ignore.

Also, good luck with your warrior dash and spartan sprint. However, these are bad starting points for a beginner, especially somebody at 250 lbs with a high bf percentage. It definitely opens up opportunities for you to be injured. Not to mention exhaustion and dehydration are two very real things that could happen.That's just my opinion though.

It's good that you're motivated though, never lose that! And welcome to NF :)

Neutral Good-High Elf Warrior

What we move is far less important than what moves us.

Razor's Three-Fortnight Challenge

I have to agree with Razor on the diet bit at least. Like they say, that is 80% of your success or failure. I'm a big fan of the Paleo diet, but everyone is different and looking at calories in and out plus nutrients could be a great starting point to figure out where your problem areas are/where you need to go from here.

How did the Warrior Dash go? I think as far as adventure races go thats typically the easiest corse I've seen while the Spartans tend to be the worst. I hope it at the very least gave you a good idea of your fitness level and good motivation!

Can't wait to see you succeed! :saturn:

No matter how slow you're going, you're still lapping everyone on the couch.

Hobbit Adventurer
STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 4 CON - 5.25 WIS - 5 CHA - 6.5

Technically, I am not a beginner. This will be my second Warrior Dash and my third overall obstacle race. And the Warrior Dash is actually a great place to start. It is much more of a fun environment and all fitness levels are welcome. It is more about the mental toughness to complete it.

As far as diet goes, I have already begun tracking my calories and cutting out soda and salt. I am looking into the Paleo diet but I am not sure I will be able to convince my husband and he does all the cooking in our house.

New Adventurer aiming to become a Ranger and ultimately maybe an assassin or monk.

GrowingWings' First Challenge Thread

Archived