Forums are back in action! ×

TESOL Japan

Slovien

Does anyone teach English in Japan? Its something I've wanted to do and am looking into it to find out the best way to do so. Right now my idea is to go back to college and get a TESOL certificate and get a BA in Japanese. The BA is also so that when I come back to the states (or if I can't go to Japan) then I can teach a Japanese class here.

If anyone has done this do you have any tips for me? Places to look for jobs and such? Thanks!

I've got a friend who went through the JET program too. It took him multiple tries to get through their interview process, but he made it eventually :) Japan is a pretty competitive market, but it certainly possible to get teaching work there. If you haven't visited already, Dave's ESL cafe is a good first site to look at. It looks like crap, and is full of the most horrible people on Earth, but has some really great info in the forums. Just don't let the negative vibes get you down! (or it might just be the Korea forums that suck, I don't spend much time anywhere else).

Have you taught ESL before? Specifically, have you taught Japanese ESL students before? They can be a difficult bunch to get used to, so if you can get a little taste of it before you go, just to see if you like it, it might be a good plan :)

Edit: Some useful info here. I thought the idea of looking for your university cities Japanese 'sister' city was a good one.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Does anyone teach English in Japan? Its something I've wanted to do and am looking into it to find out the best way to do so. Right now my idea is to go back to college and get a TESOL certificate and get a BA in Japanese. The BA is also so that when I come back to the states (or if I can't go to Japan) then I can teach a Japanese class here.

If anyone has done this do you have any tips for me? Places to look for jobs and such? Thanks!

Great minds think alike! I was just looking into something like that recently. I heard the same thing as you, that the process is cumbersome for Japan. The easiest process and most likely to hire a new grad I hear is Korea, China, and South America in that order. Eastern Europe and Turkey sometimes don't even require a teaching credential (sometimes not even a degree), while western Europe is very stickler about it. Im not sure if there are short-term options or if it is a 2 year commitment. Some companies even offer tuition reimbursement, definatly worth looking into.

Porkchop / Level 4 / Mammal-Adventurer

STR - 14  DEX - 4  STA - 7  CON - 11 WIS - 13  CHA - 7

“Wherever you are...be all there†

Challenge #4

Hmm, just for information.

If you're looking to find a REAL teaching job. Then I'm sure you're on the right path. They value qualifications and stuff over there.

But if you're looking for a part-time to get enough money for your daily Ramen/Drinks...you can just go to the local Community Center and post some notice. Then the students will just call you and you can meet and teach in a coffee shop or something. It is what I did living there for years. XD

Just saying....

Human Adventurer1

Exp: 13 --- Next:2

--------------------------------

STR 6-DEX 1-CON 5

STA 2-WIS 9 -CHA 5

"Always Win Against Yourself!!"

Current Challenge

And Maybe Help Me Figuring Out The Answer To This Question? Thanks Anyway!

Archived