Forums are back in action! ×

LGBTQA and Ally Safe Space

Hi, since I'm new, I wanted to introduce myself. I'm Sarah! I'm bisexual. I sometimes feel nervous joining groups, because while many can be supportive, bisexual erasure is a very real thing and can end up making a person uncomfortable or unwelcome in both cis and queer circles. :(

After reading through most of this thread though, you guys seem pretty awesome. :) As for my nerd cred, I'm a miniatures painter (think Warhammer) and I also love board games and video games. I'm playing through Borderlands 2 right now.

My fitness goal, in the broadest sense, is to be the most comfortable in my own skin as I can possibly be. :) I'm currently working towards being able to do a pushup.

Twi'lek Assassin
Level 1
STR : 1 | DEX : 2 | STA : 1 | CON : 4 | WIS : 4 | CHA : 3
"The Sith won't let us hide. Besides, I'm tired of hiding -- being hunted. I'd rather be the hunter." -Shado Vao

After reading through most of this thread though, you guys seem pretty awesome. :) As for my nerd cred, I'm a miniatures painter (think Warhammer) and I also love board games and video games. I'm playing through Borderlands 2 right now.

Welcome!  How are you finding Borderlands 2?  I played 1 and liked it, but have been debating whether I should go ahead and buy 2.  Right now, I'm finally playing through Fallout 3.  (So many sequels.)

"Did you go to the gym when you were alive?"
"I died in 1938. For exercise, we drank sloe gin and smoked Lucky Strikes."
- Dead Like Me

Borderlands 2 is amazing. I played through the main game, and now I'm working on the DLC. The classes are really cool, similar to the first game, but better. And they did an amazing job with the story and humor.

Fallout 3 is awesome, I hope you're enjoying it! I am positively jonesing for Bethesda to put out another big open world game, and soon.

Thanks for the welcome!

Twi'lek Assassin
Level 1
"The Sith won't let us hide. Besides, I'm tired of hiding -- being hunted. I'd rather be the hunter." -Shado Vao

Hello everyone, new rebel here. Here's my intro post

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/32616-part-of-a-statistic-sucks-big-time/#entry603363

My name is Cynthia aka Chi, I'm Mexican and I have a girlfriend (somedays I'm a lesbian, somedays bi, somedays I don't know)

I've been with my gf for 6 1/2 years and counting woooottt :)

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself here

Hi!

Welcome!  Also, you win for having an excellently nerdy username.  God, I hated memorizing that in bio.

Thank you! Haha, whenever I start a new biology course, someone (usually either the professor or a TA) asks me if I'm related to the guy who invented it. I don't think that I am (at least not closely), but how cool would that be?

And yes I agree, memorizing it was horrible.

Also, welcome, Sarah and Chi! Glad to have you around!

I am playing Borderlands 2 as well, as the Mechromancer, but I only started recently. I have so many games to catch up on at the moment... my Steam library is full of games just waiting to be played (Bioshock is up next, after BL 2). I imagine it'll only get worse once the summer sale starts...

Shorn - Level 1 Shadar-Kai

STR - 3 DEX - 1 STA - 2 CON - 2 WIS - 2 CHA - 2 

Current Challenge: N/A  

Daily Battle Log

--------------------------------

"You're faster than this -- don't think you are, know you are." ~Morpheus, The Matrix

Gary was here! Ash is a loser!

Also, welcome, Sarah and Chi! Glad to have you around!

I am playing Borderlands 2 as well, as the Mechromancer, but I only started recently. I have so many games to catch up on at the moment... my Steam library is full of games just waiting to be played (Bioshock is up next, after BL 2). I imagine it'll only get worse once the summer sale starts...

Thanks for the welcome! I haven't played any other class in BL2 except Z3r0, because, well, I like sniping things and he's an awesome character. You just can't beat a character that makes up haikus about everything from getting critical hits to being bored if you haven't moved the mouse in awhile. XD

Bioshock is great, it's such a good game, I highly recommend it! And also Bioshock Infinite. But not Bioshock 2, it was terrible. :(

I have to ask my favourite dudeman to take his credit card info off our computer during the Steam Summer Sale or else I will buy all the things, haha.

Twi'lek Assassin
Level 1

Sniping is so much fun! I played as Mordecai in the first BL and had a blast. I'm glad to hear that Z3r0 is such an entertaining character, both in his gameplay and his lines.

And I'll definitely keep that in mind! I have both Bioshock and Bioshock 2 in my inventory, but I'm definitely starting with the original. I actually have started playing it on two separate occasions with friends (we'd switch who had the controller between areas), but we never had the chance to continue it, so I'm playing solo this time around.

And heads up -- apparently the summer sale starts tomorrow, haha! Hide ALL the credit cards (I will be doing the same).

Shorn - Level 1 Shadar-Kai

STR - 3 DEX - 1 STA - 2 CON - 2 WIS - 2 CHA - 2 

Current Challenge: N/A  

Daily Battle Log

--------------------------------

"You're faster than this -- don't think you are, know you are." ~Morpheus, The Matrix

Gary was here! Ash is a loser!

Hi y'all! Saw this thread and thought I should "out" myself, I mean, why not. So I'm a bisexual ciswoman. (...I think. Right now I'm pretty sure I am, I just really really hate gender roles.) Also, I have a question. I know it's probably a very stupid question, feel free to laugh at me, but I've honestly been wondering about this and have to ask some people who may have experience on this subject.

I was in a relationship for a very long time, so I don't know jack squat about dating or flirting or anything. Although my people skills vary a lot from day to day, I think that if I ran into a potentially interesting man, I would be able to convey my interest. It helps that society still seems to think that whenever a woman and a man communicate, they're interested in each other - it's the norm, you know?

But what if it's a woman instead? How do I make clear that I'm potentially romantically interested in her, without freaking her out? How do I know if she's interested in ladies at all? I can't just ask, that's awkward. Or do I have to make it clear right away? On the other hand, I don't want to come off as one of those guys who pretend to want to be your friend just to get into your pants. I also have a tendency to be interested in people older than myself, and I imagine it complicates the matter more. I live in a relatively small country, and I'm afraid if I tell a 30/40-something-year-old woman I'm interested in her, there's a good chance she'll find it utterly inappropriate, and the last thing I want to do is make another woman uncomfortable because of romantic advances.

So what are the rules here? Are there any? If you have any advice, tell me, because as you can see, I'm really clueless about these things. Now I'm going to go and dig myself a hole to crawl into.

POLARIS - LEVEL 4 AVATAR WARRIOR/MONK

(currently visiting assassins) | Challenge Thread

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

Hi,

I'm new here (I registered only today, even I was reading the NF site since 2011, how lazy :P) and I took a look on the topics here. I think that is awesome to have this thread! 

I'm a bit nervous to say here, but since I see that the NF forum have many supportive people, I feel comfortable to say here that I'm lesbian, so wanted to exchange ideas and experiences with everyone here :)

I'm a huge fan of Shadowrun (the game), and I see that the people mentioned Fallout here. I'm a huge fan of this game! :D I've played many times the New Vegas (and all the DLCs) and soon I hope to have some time to replay Fallout 3. Shame on me, but I did not played yet Fallout 1 and 2.... I hope to fix it soon!

Hi,

I'm new here (I registered only today, even I was reading the NF site since 2011, how lazy :tongue:) and I took a look on the topics here. I think that is awesome to have this thread! 

I'm a bit nervous to say here, but since I see that the NF forum have many supportive people, I feel comfortable to say here that I'm lesbian, so wanted to exchange ideas and experiences with everyone here :)

I'm a huge fan of Shadowrun (the game), and I see that the people mentioned Fallout here. I'm a huge fan of this game! :D I've played many times the New Vegas (and all the DLCs) and soon I hope to have some time to replay Fallout 3. Shame on me, but I did not played yet Fallout 1 and 2.... I hope to fix it soon!

yay gay! welcome.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Hi y'all! Saw this thread and thought I should "out" myself, I mean, why not. So I'm a bisexual ciswoman. (...I think. Right now I'm pretty sure I am, I just really really hate gender roles.) Also, I have a question. I know it's probably a very stupid question, feel free to laugh at me, but I've honestly been wondering about this and have to ask some people who may have experience on this subject.

I was in a relationship for a very long time, so I don't know jack squat about dating or flirting or anything. Although my people skills vary a lot from day to day, I think that if I ran into a potentially interesting man, I would be able to convey my interest. It helps that society still seems to think that whenever a woman and a man communicate, they're interested in each other - it's the norm, you know?

But what if it's a woman instead? How do I make clear that I'm potentially romantically interested in her, without freaking her out? How do I know if she's interested in ladies at all? I can't just ask, that's awkward. Or do I have to make it clear right away? On the other hand, I don't want to come off as one of those guys who pretend to want to be your friend just to get into your pants. I also have a tendency to be interested in people older than myself, and I imagine it complicates the matter more. I live in a relatively small country, and I'm afraid if I tell a 30/40-something-year-old woman I'm interested in her, there's a good chance she'll find it utterly inappropriate, and the last thing I want to do is make another woman uncomfortable because of romantic advances.

So what are the rules here? Are there any? If you have any advice, tell me, because as you can see, I'm really clueless about these things. Now I'm going to go and dig myself a hole to crawl into.

good question. when it comes to women, i usually make sure that they are bi or gay before expressing overt interest. but that could be just because i'm super shy. i also tend to go for more "straight looking" women, so it's touchy. i also think it sucks that the hetero-normative behavior is that a man will always show interest, and that's what we've come to expect, so when you're gay, it's harder. you might ask the woman out on a coffee date or hang out, and try and figure out if she talks about a partner or whatever. i also think that most women find any straightforward "hey, would you like to go on a date with me?" as extreme flattery and not creepy -- as long as you don't act creepy if they turn you down. does this make any sense?

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Well Well Well the more I venture through these forums, the more impressed I am.

While I'm a purely straight male, and I am dissapointed that a thread like this has to be made, at the same time I'm glad that it has been... and that it's been recieved so well.

So... Hi!

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

good question. when it comes to women, i usually make sure that they are bi or gay before expressing overt interest. but that could be just because i'm super shy. i also tend to go for more "straight looking" women, so it's touchy. i also think it sucks that the hetero-normative behavior is that a man will always show interest, and that's what we've come to expect, so when you're gay, it's harder. you might ask the woman out on a coffee date or hang out, and try and figure out if she talks about a partner or whatever. i also think that most women find any straightforward "hey, would you like to go on a date with me?" as extreme flattery and not creepy -- as long as you don't act creepy if they turn you down. does this make any sense?

Thanks for the advice! :) I'm kind of shy sometimes too - shy as in "on the brink of a panic attack" - but in other times, I can be almost over-confident. The problem is that I have so much difficulty telling if a woman is straight or gay or bi or whatever unless it comes up directly. And thus far, all the women I could've been potentially interested in have been straight, no exceptions. (And it just occurred to me that IRL, pretty much all the women I know are straight. What are all the non-straight ones around here, unicorns? :D) Might be I'm just overthinking this - it's not like there is anyone right now that I'm interested in, I just like to be prepared in advance, you know?

Well Well Well the more I venture through these forums, the more impressed I am.

While I'm a purely straight male, and I am dissapointed that a thread like this has to be made, at the same time I'm glad that it has been... and that it's been recieved so well.

So... Hi!

I don't think you should be disappointed. I don't see this as a safe space as in "we'd be lynched outside this thread", this is just a space for us LGBT folks to talk about LGBT issues. I, at least, feel more welcome having this thread here.

• Like 1

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

I don't think you should be disappointed. I don't see this as a safe space as in "we'd be lynched outside this thread", this is just a space for us LGBT folks to talk about LGBT issues. I, at least, feel more welcome having this thread here.

If you spent some time on my other forums, you'd be surprised... If they weren't a goldmine of great information, I wouldn't go back.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

Yeah, I know many other forums aren't like this one. That's why I don't go there, I may have masochistic tendencies but not that much. :D

LOL... Join the club... sometimes I wonder why I get into some of the discussions I do... 99% of the time it's an exercise in frustration. :pride:

• Like 1

My first challenge

I confess, sometimes I wander around aimlessly and end up lurking around the most horrible message boards. It's the fastest way to get a nigh-incurable case of "I Don't Want To Live On This Plane Anymore".

(Omg that gif though :D)

I confess, sometimes I wander around aimlessly and end up lurking around the most horrible message boards. It's the fastest way to get a nigh-incurable case of "I Don't Want To Live On This Plane Anymore".

(Omg that gif though :D)

I guess the difference is I'll seek em out... I figure if I can affect that 1%, then I'm doing my part to help the cause. :nevreness:

My first challenge

I'm so happy I found this thread. I just joined the forum and have been lurking about, partially looking to see if there were any other queer identified people around. I did a bit of reading of this thread, but after I post I'm probably going to read from beginning to end.

I identify as non-gendered, which is often seen as me just trying to be complicated. As far as my family is concerned I'm just a wallflower that never grew out of the tom-boy faze. But it is a lot more than that. I can go through periods of extreme dysphoria and the complications of not feeling I belong on either side of the binary. When I saw there were men's and women's forums I then got the minor depression that I get every time things get binary and I don't know where I go.

While people may not think this has anything to do with fitness, for me it's one big reason that I want to get fit. While I know my curvy body will never look androgynous, I can at least minimize my overly female characteristics by getting fit and eventually getting some muscle tone.

I used to want to get fit so that guys would actually look at me. But I have realized that there are few men that are interested in "butch" "females", no matter their size. I always jump from wishing I was "normal" to wishing I could be gay to wishing I could be a (gay) guy. Those last two options would at least give me some freedom in gender variance.

Except for when I'm actually talking about gender, I like to keep my online gender up for interpretation. I rarely state what my gender/sex is and just let people figure out how they see me. I wish I had that option IRL, too.

And since this isn't my introduction thread, I'll get off the topic of me and just say that I'm so thankful for this thread.

Now back to my shadowy corner to lurk.

Lvl 2 Demigod

Child of Aries

/ STR 1 / DEX 1.75 / STA 2 / CON 5 / WIS 4 / CHA 2 /

Challenges:

Current Challenge

Accountability Groups:

Companions in Training

I'm so happy I found this thread. I just joined the forum and have been lurking about, partially looking to see if there were any other queer identified people around. I did a bit of reading of this thread, but after I post I'm probably going to read from beginning to end.

I identify as non-gendered, which is often seen as me just trying to be complicated. As far as my family is concerned I'm just a wallflower that never grew out of the tom-boy faze. But it is a lot more than that. I can go through periods of extreme dysphoria and the complications of not feeling I belong on either side of the binary. When I saw there were men's and women's forums I then got the minor depression that I get every time things get binary and I don't know where I go.

While people may not think this has anything to do with fitness, for me it's one big reason that I want to get fit. While I know my curvy body will never look androgynous, I can at least minimize my overly female characteristics by getting fit and eventually getting some muscle tone.

I used to want to get fit so that guys would actually look at me. But I have realized that there are few men that are interested in "butch" "females", no matter their size. I always jump from wishing I was "normal" to wishing I could be gay to wishing I could be a (gay) guy. Those last two options would at least give me some freedom in gender variance.

Except for when I'm actually talking about gender, I like to keep my online gender up for interpretation. I rarely state what my gender/sex is and just let people figure out how they see me. I wish I had that option IRL, too.

And since this isn't my introduction thread, I'll get off the topic of me and just say that I'm so thankful for this thread.

Now back to my shadowy corner to lurk.

Tear down the binary!

Friends who lift together stay together. Let's be friends.