Forums are back in action! ×

THES EZ SPARTAAA

Hey everyone,

Just signed up here at Nerd Fitness after coming across the blog a few days ago. Looks like an awesome community to be a part of!

I'm a guy from Australia who has been looking around for functional strength exercises that don't rely on gym equipment (or membership fees!) for a while now. About a week ago I came across bodyweight training and have now read 2/3rds of Convict Conditioning and I'm keen to get to work!

Whenever I've tried working out in the past I've always let myself down with nutrition- I've never really got my head around what I should & shouldn't be eating, how often etc. This time around I'm considering transitioning to a Paleo diet, though I haven't read enough to start making that change yet. I'm probably going to read Sisson's Primal Blueprint book once I finish up with CC.

I'm a bit of a nerd too by the way, I've been into video games, comic books, roleplaying games... all kinds of nerd stuff. I don't play games much anymore, but the most recent games I have played have been indie games like Sword & Sworcery & Canabalt. I'm into making pixel art, animations and more traditional art too.

One question before I go- how do some people have character classes & badges and D&D style character stats? Are those based on a workout program or something?

Welcome Leonidas!

If you'd like to read more about the different professions: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/05/10/real-life-role-playing-what-is-your-profession/

For the stat points: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/turning-your-challenge-into-a-rpg/

I find this makes it a lot more fun and motivating to work out.

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

Welcome Leonidas! Couple of things from my end here. I am a true believer in Paleo after reading Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution, and I've been on it for approximately 2 weeks now. Loving it, more than I thought possible. I would suggest reading The Paleo Solution after Sisson's book (or before). There is also a Paleo section of the forums, so feel free to post questions you may have there!

Thanks for the welcome :)

I checked out the professions & stats, I like the idea of gameifying things to keep the motivation up. I'll probably try to do the race/class thing just for fun. I'm 6'4" and around 90kgs so I don't know what race that would make me- probably just human- and I'm also not sure what class, possibly Ranger because I'll be focusing on functional strength, paleo diet and possibly some Bikram Yoga & general stuff like kicking a ball around on the weekends, so it's a bit of a mixed bag.

I keep reading very positive comments from people who are on the paleo diet, so I'm keen to start making the change. Maybe the Paleo thing hasn't caught on here much yet because there don't seem to be many bookshops stocking books about it. Guess I'll have to read it on my computer rather than in hardcopy.

Archived