Forums are back in action! ×

A fencer's story

Like many, I took a long trip down the road of misinformation before my real life began. I made all the same mistakes. I always have hated my body, from skinny as a kid to chubby in my 20's. The common thread was always hatred. I was able to lose but not keep anything off.

A little over a year ago I found fencing and everything fell into place. I had a reason to change. I started my journey at 230 pounds 6'3 and really quite skinny fat. From fencing I attained 205. Less skinny fat but at this point I did not care. I decided I needed to be stronger, fencing is a very unbalanced sport and I had no baseline in strength. Weight training for fencers is scoffed at, very little support even though the sport is 90% anaerobic and relies on explosive power to do everything.

I found stronglifts, then starting strength and I was off. I loved lifting almost more than fencing. My goals shifted around a lot and I have tied to specialize too much. I am 10 months in from when I found starting strength and a year and a half out from when I found fencing. I have won a state championship, multiple local tournaments and here are my crosstraining highlights. Squat 355x2@235 BW Deadlift 405x2@235. Press 135x5@212 Bench 245@225 Powerclean 240@225 Pullups 10 @ 212 I went through starting strength and dabbled in everything before combining it all. I wish I had just stuck with the texas method for the last seven months.

My current regiment is to go for adaptations a la texas method's 5x5 layout. Monday I squat and bench, wednesday is all assistance and light squatting, friday is power cleans, light squats and press. My pr's are in the 5x5 format I don't test. I fence tues wed thurs sat sun.

My lifts are down from losing weight I am working them up currently. I have to say I love deadlifting but it pretty much f#%^ my whole week up even if I do a 1x5. My fencing is painful and I can barely hit my light squats. My current stats aren't great coming off the state championship and some programming fumbles. I will post my workous please slap me if I start to tweak my program, I really need to stick to something. I don't know what guild to be in...warrior monk?

Alex

The art of life is more like the wrestler's art than the dancer's, in respect of this, that it should stand ready and firm to meet onsets which are sudden and unexpected. -Marcus Aurelius

My Blog --- My Battle Log

I'm curious to follow your journey because I've been interesting in fencing lately :3 I'm a Capoeira person but I wanted to get into fencing because I've been watching one of my friends do it but I don't really know where to get the right start, hahah.

At any rate, welcome! /I'm a newbie here too/

Phantom Adventurer/Monk-in-Training

STR: 2 || DEX: 2 || STA: 1 || CON: 3 || WIS: 4 || CHA: 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no crying in alien warfare.

Archived