Forums are back in action! ×

RIP Neil Armstrong

dshale

Woah, really? I haven't caught this yet, so... dang. There goes an important member of history. Neil, you helped demonstrate just how far humans can push their envelopment if pushed to do so (or how well they can cook up a conspiracy, if you are a nut! :P) We all could take more from that example.

I know I speak for many when I say that he will be missed.

Race: Human

Class: Warrior

CAUTION: I am quite prone to random, strange ideas I feel the need to express. You are free to act upon them as you wish. The best option is probably simply ignoring them and just working with what I say that actually has any merit of some kind. Hopefully fair warning.

I didn't know! i'm a total nerd for the space program. My sister made fun of me in high school when, instead of hanging out on a sat night, I was reading "Moon Shot." I know he had a hard time after coming back from the moon.

Sad news.

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

This was the speech that was written in case the astronauts never made it home on the Apollo 11 missions. Although it may be more than 40 years old, it is still incredibly poignant.

Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace. These brave men, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, know that there is no hope for their recovery. But they also know that there is hope for mankind in their sacrifice. These two men are laying down their lives in mankind's most noble goal: the search for truth and understanding.

They will be mourned by their families and friends; they will be mourned by their nation; they will be mourned by the people of the world; they will be mourned by a Mother Earth that dared send two of her sons into the unkown. In their exploration, they stirred the people of the world to feel as one; in their sacrifice, they bind more tightly the brotherhood of man.

In ancient days, men looked at the stars and saw their heroes in the constellations. In modern times, we do much the same, but our heroes are epic men of flesh and blood.

Those they leave behind have suffered a grievous loss, but mankind itself will be forever richer because these gallant men dared accept the opportunity to undertake a pioneering journey of great challenge and promise.

To those who follow, to those pioneers of heroic courage and selfless dedication, the paths blazed by these brave men will beckon through all the years. Countless millions of people at home and abroad must share this sense of great loss, for these men sailed forth on the seas of space on a mission of great interest and great importance to all mankind. The families of these men have suffered a grievous loss; may they find some comfort in the thought, which so many share, that man's progress has always been won, and still must be won, by brave men who are ready to move out into the unkown without the guarantee of a safe return, and who draw strength from the knowledge that by their going they help to open the way. They have followed a star, in the night of space, and we for whom they went will not forget.

The deaths of these three men will stand in the annals of exploration as an everlasting example of dedication, courage and the conviction that man's intelligence will one day carry him safely to the stars.

Archived