Forums are back in action! ×

6 Days of Paleo so far - a few questions!

Alexandra

Hi! Totally new to nerdfitness as of this week and have a few questions about Paleo ^-^

So I’ve cut out all the bad stuff aside from having a little bit of cheese when there wasn’t much else to eat around. I feel like I’m not quite managing to eat as much meat as I probably should, though I’m not really sure how much I need. I’m eating meat (but not concerning myself over grass or grain fed atm) fruit (mainly berries), veg, eggs (haven’t really thought of anything else to eat for breakfast yet aside from eggs!), and snacking occasionally on nuts, or a spoon of almond butter.

I have been feeling a lot less sluggish and have more consistent energy throughout the day and my stomach has been amazingly flat all the time! But have been experiencing bad headaches for the last few days mostly in the morning (maybe out of hunger?). I’m also slightly concerned I’m not getting enough nutrients? Thinking of taking some D, fish oil and a multivitamin or some probiotics as I’m not supplementing anything at the moment.

Just about got my head around the fact that you can eat fat for energy instead of carbs, but still, how much is healthy to eat?! How much almond butter, or whole cream etc can I actually eat without it being indulgent?

You should probably do Vitamin D and Fish Oil regardless, but if you're eating lots of veggies you probably don't need a multivitamin. Still, if you'd rather be extra sure, it won't hurt you (however, do some research and get a good brand).

As far as how much to eat, well, that will vary a lot based on your own personal factors (weight, activity level, etc.) but supposedly you don't have to worry about it that much on Paleo/Primal. Keep in mind that nuts and especially cream are going to be very calorie dense, so I'd be aware of how much of that stuff is being eaten, but you pretty much have free reign on non-potato vegetables.

You sound like you're doing fine. Eating the whole jar of almond butter or the whole carton of cream is likely not a great idea, but otherwise, you're probably fine. Be mindful when you're eating -- that is, pay attention to eating and don't distract yourself with reading, tv, even talking, etc. -- and you'll likely find that you're just "done" at some point. (This may take some practice, as you might not be quite used to listening to your body's different signals around hunger.)

I agree with notanartmajor on the Vitamin D and fish oil. But if you're eating a variety of veggies, esp the colorful ones, you're likely covering all your vitamins et al.

Headaches are likely part of the "carb flu," when your body is going through withdrawal from the things you used to feed it. This should pass before too long.

1 seI rving of almond butter is 2 Tb. 1 serving of nuts is 1/4 cup or a closed handful. If your aren't worried about weight, then yo don't have to worry. If you are concerned about weight keep it to 1 maybe 2 servings of nuts a day.

Make sure you eat a good filling breakfast 2-3 eggs, some fat, maybe some veggies, and maybe some meat.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I've just completed my second week of paleo, and one thing that really puts me over the top when I feel I don't have enough nutrients (or I'm just not full enough) is SMOOTHIES. Some coconut milk, and usually 3 different frozen fruits, so simple, so delicious. I have two a day, usually between meals when I start to feel a little hunger coming on.

Great tips guys thanks!

Now to research some decent vitamin brands I can get hold of in the UK...

Get all my supplements here (inlcuding alpha-men multi-vit, Vit D and cod liver oil). Best price/quality/service in the UK bar none.

Womens multi-vit: http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/mp_max_elle_active_woman (Obv I take the mens equivalent product!)

Vitamin D3: http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/vitamin_d3

Cod liver oil: http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/cod_liver_oil

GoToTheGround"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo TolstoyTwitter | My 130lb weight-loss journey in photos & words 

I will third the vitamin D and Fish oil recommendation. If you are worried about your daily protein intake bacon is paleo and a great breakfast food. (Try to get low sodium low nitrates). I think you are probably experiencing carb flu as far as the headaches go. If you used to eat a lot of grains in your diet your body is just trying to figure out the change and having a little bit of adverse reaction it will get better. Also for vitamin intake eat tons of veggies!! For dinner my plate will be 2/3's full of veggies. Hope we helped. If you still experience headaches here in a week or so try tracking your calorie intake and output and determine if you are at a deficiency as that could be a cause as well.

Reach your limits and then surpass them.

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:
Class: Ranger
Race: Human
STR:13.5 DEX:8.5 STA: 10.5 CON:6 WIS:5 CHA:6.5

Carb flu is a pain, but it will end eventually. I think I had those headaches/gross feeling for about 2 weeks before my body really got over it. Just like everyone else has said, you're probably all set on your basic nutrients, fish oil is a great thing to add (I supplement with it). I'm also a huge fan of smoothies for breakfast, I do strawberry and bananas with simply orange (no sugar and fortified w/ calcium and vit D!) plus some protein powder since I'm not as much of a carnivore and I feel like my protein numbers aren't what they should be.

The Paelo/Primal board is great too!

No matter how slow you're going, you're still lapping everyone on the couch.

Hobbit Adventurer
STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 4 CON - 5.25 WIS - 5 CHA - 6.5

Go for five different colors of fruit and veggies a day. That will go a long way to getting the right nutrients. As for the headaches, it could be dehydration. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. You need that extra water to keep your kidneys clean, anyway.

Lvl 8 Half-Orc Warrior
STR: 25 | DEX: 11.75 | STA: 9.75
CON: 13.5 | WIS: 10.75 | CHA: 3

Challenge | DAI-GURREN | Stop Smoking

You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding. - TMBG

Pay the Iron Price. - Balon Greyjoy

Archived