Forums are back in action! ×

I have 38 days...

In a little less than 6 weeks I'll be travelling to meet a girl I've known on the internet for a while. Word on the grapevine is that she's interested, but isn't sure about my physique/looks too much. Apparently she's holding out to see how we jive physically in person. (I'm 100% sure of this.)

Anyway, I have a lot of respect for this particular girl, so I want to do my best to ensure success. Right now I'm 5'7 and skinny with a bird chest and slight beer belly. Does 38 days sound do-able to tone up so I'm at least on par with other dudes my age (mid twenties)? Any suggestions for in-house methods of training I can run, but I have no money for a gym membership or equipment. Thanks all! :emmersed:

Thanks Athena, that was incredibly helpful. Thankfully, the diet change won't be too difficult because I'm already used to religion-based diets/fasts, and I don't eat much junk to begin with. I'm definitely hitting up the local gym tomorrow as per your advice. The question remains though, how much of a visible difference could I potentially make in 38 days provided I stuck with it?

If you really want to do it, 38 days is enough. Be smart about it, and commit to it! If you wanna try paleo, and lift really heavy at the gym, (I'm talking 20-30 minute workouts) then you definitely can achieve the body you desire!!

Let me just second what Athena said: My most ripped, three-hours-per-day, look-at-those-abs ex-boyfriend is by far the guy I regret dating most. He wasn't a very good person (which is why he's my ex!).

I get this, but it doesn't mean all gym rats are bad! Plus he's trying to win her over so you wouldn't want her not giving you a second look!

Yes, again, I second what Athena said. I'm not saying all gym rats are bad (hardly!), and of course it's nice when a guy looks good, but that's not a necessary and sufficient quality to make a guy relationship material!

In a little less than 6 weeks I'll be travelling to meet a girl I've known on the internet for a while. Word on the grapevine is that she's interested, but isn't sure about my physique/looks too much. Apparently she's holding out to see how we jive physically in person. (I'm 100% sure of this.)

Anyway, I have a lot of respect for this particular girl, so I want to do my best to ensure success. Right now I'm 5'7 and skinny with a bird chest and slight beer belly. Does 38 days sound do-able to tone up so I'm at least on par with other dudes my age (mid twenties)? Any suggestions for in-house methods of training I can run, but I have no money for a gym membership or equipment. Thanks all! :emmersed:

38 days is plenty of time. Especially if you've always been a skinny guy and only recently put on a little weight. That will be much easier to shed. I would personally advocate some intermittent fasting (there is a whole thread on this) in combination with the lifting. But time is of the essence. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed with picking a program for lifting or dieting that you turn around and it's three weeks from now and you've just been puttering around.

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

Archived