Forums are back in action! ×

The intro thread in which arcticMaiden talks your ear off.

arcticMaiden here! I'm 23 going on 24 years old, and from the Maritimes of Canada. I'm a University student and taking Computer Science seems to keep me good and nerdy.

I've been working on myself for a while now, but I have decided to join Nerd Fitness to move things to the next level.

The short version of where I came from:

I graduated High School with absolutely no plans in mind, I was smart but I was not ambitious. Signed up for community college so that I was at least doing something Post Secondary. Studied Graphic Design, graduated and could not find work. Disheartened I let it all get to me and became rather depressed. I worked night shifts at a grocery store and would come home from work and eat an entire pie on my own before playing Halo till 2 in the morning and would wake at noon or later to do it all over again. At 180Lbs I know I was not obese or any thing (though I was overweight), but I wasn't happy and that number on the scale would keep creeping up if I didn't do something.

I joined a gym which brought some of my energy back. I got the courage and ambition up to apply for University and was thrilled to have been accepted into a Computer Science program with a small scholarship to boot! I started to clean up my eating and was accepted into the co-op program at the University and was able to quit my grocery store job and I now work junior positions for IT companies instead. My next work term starts in a week. I have lost 30Lbs in a little under 3 years, but I have had several relapses. I need a Jedi Council so to speak, but have had no luck putting one together in real life so I am hoping to find a support network here instead. I might look slimmer than I did before, but I want to be the best me I can be! Also fitness seems to help my knee (the cartilage was surgically removed when I was in Grade 9 and I shattered it).

How I'm going to move forward:

Alternate days with Yoga and Body Weight Training. Sunday is off.

- For Yoga I will be using some of Tara Stiles' videos starting with beginner ones and moving up from there.

- For Body Weight Training I'm still exploring my options. Since I'm just beginning I may go with the beginner program on Steve's blog, but if anyone has a solid recommendation please let me know! I can do a few pushups and can carry myself across a set of monkey bars, but I would still say that I am a very big beginner.

I will also be Walking to Mordor and back. If anyone wants to join me on my walk to Mordor I would be glad to have them join me! (We could provide each other accountability :D).

I will also be setting a strict bed time of 10:00 PM. I need to sleep more and I know it all too well.

For diet I am some what limited as I still live with my parents, but I will try to move as much of my consumption as possible into the line of paleo.

Outside of health:

I intend to go on exchange to Europe this winter so I need to get my stuff (paperwork X_x) together and get ready for that.

After returning from Europe my next goal is to move out of my parents house. (I'm leaving this here to keep myself accountable!)

Any feed back would be much appreciated and I hope that I can offer as much support to my fellow members of the rebellion as I hope to get from them!

All the best!

-arcticMaiden

arcticMaiden the Unshakeable

Arctic Adventurer - Level 3
Epic Quest || Travel Blog || Challenge 1 || Challenge 2 || Current Challenge

STR: 8 / DEX: 7 / STA: 9 / CON: 9 / WIS: 6 / CHA: 6

I will also be Walking to Mordor and back. If anyone wants to join me on my walk to Mordor I would be glad to have them join me! (We could provide each other accountability :D).

Oooh I'm intrigued! Are you just going to do the 1779 miles to Mordor or do the whole there-and-back?

[TABLE=width: 445]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Half Elf Assassin

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 4

Epic Quest | Half Challenge

If you don’t become the ocean, you’ll be seasick every day. - Leonard Cohen

[/TABLE]

Sweet! When do you want to start and how do you want to do this? A race to Mordor? Or just walking together :) Also should we start another thread somewhere else for this or is this good? I'm still trying to find my way around this place!

arcticMaiden the Unshakeable

Arctic Adventurer - Level 3
Epic Quest || Travel Blog || Challenge 1 || Challenge 2 || Current Challenge

STR: 8 / DEX: 7 / STA: 9 / CON: 9 / WIS: 6 / CHA: 6

I can pick up a pedometer tomorrow evening after work/class, so anytime later this week is a good starting point for me!

I've seen some people use Google Doc spreadsheets around the forums to track distance things like this. Maybe I can tinker around with one at work tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.

I'm up for walking as companions or racing :] Or start out as companions and break into a race as we near the finish line haha

[TABLE=width: 445]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Half Elf Assassin

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 4

Epic Quest | Half Challenge

If you don’t become the ocean, you’ll be seasick every day. - Leonard Cohen

[/TABLE]

Archived