Cardio: 20mins Speed Intervals on treadmill

Workout B:

Deadlifts 5x5

Over Head Press 5x5

Chinups 5x5

(Tricep rope pull downs) 3x8

(Planks) - 3x 1min

Cardio: 20mins cross trainer

I alternate this with a break between the days. I know isolation exercises aren't important, but I love doing curls and pull downs.

My questions are:

When I bench press, a spotter helps me push those reps on the last 3 sets, because I aggressively increase the weights - should I use the spotter to help or continue as much as I can on my on?

When I deadlift, do I do a stiff-leg deadlift or a normal one?

For chinups I can do about 2-3 reps, the last 2-3 reps I put one leg on the chair and pull up. Do I continue with or without the chair?

Thanks in advance for all the help guys!

Half-Orc Ranger in training - Level 2

STR: 4 STA: 2 DEX: 2 CON: 0.5 WIS: 2 CHA: 1

[1 [Current Challenge]

Accountabilibuddies DAI-GURREN BRIGADE

When I bench press, a spotter helps me push those reps on the last 3 sets, because I aggressively increase the weights - should I use the spotter to help or continue as much as I can on my on?

As in the spotter actually touches the bar and helps you complete the set? Back down the weight until you can manage all reps by yourself. You aren't getting strong if you have to have someone assist you. While it is a good idea to have a spotter nearby, you shouldn't increase the weight of a lift until you can do all reps.

When I deadlift, do I do a stiff-leg deadlift or a normal one?

Regular deadlift. Stiff leg/romanian style DLs are great accessory work for the glutes/hamstrings/spinal erectors but you will never be able to lift as much in an RDL as a regular DL.

For chinups I can do about 2-3 reps, the last 2-3 reps I put one leg on the chair and pull up. Do I continue with or without the chair?

Continue on, but work towards doing more reps without the chair.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Thanks so much for the answers bigm! Clears a lot for me - got one more though:

I do 3 warm-up sets before each one (except chinups) with a lot less weight - do I need these warm-ups or do I just use the first 2 sets of every 5x5 as a warm-up?

Half-Orc Ranger in training - Level 2

STR: 4 STA: 2 DEX: 2 CON: 0.5 WIS: 2 CHA: 1

[1 [Current Challenge]

Accountabilibuddies DAI-GURREN BRIGADE

Thanks so much for the answers bigm! Clears a lot for me - got one more though:

I do 3 warm-up sets before each one (except chinups) with a lot less weight - do I need these warm-ups or do I just use the first 2 sets of every 5x5 as a warm-up?

Always do some warm up sets. 2-3 sets at light weight, or just the bar. Then jump into your 5x5.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

As you progress, you may find that doing your 20 minutes of intervals at the end is just not happening. I'm about a month or so into a 5x5 linear progression, and I'm definitely finding that I'm just wiped afterwards. But I could also be a weakling.

Selkie Warrior
Level 2, STR: 6.5 | DEX: 4.5 | STA: 2.8 | CON: 4 | WIS: 7 | CHA: 2.5

Shoshie's "Getting Awesome" Challenge 
Shoshie's "Just Hanging Around" Challenge

Archived