Forums are back in action! ×

Hello from a total newbie!

Hi everyone! I'm a total newbie to the idea of exercising with intent (as opposed to the rather sporadic, aimless attempts of my past), and I'm looking forward to feeling better, getting stronger and feeling more capable in my life generally. I'll post a pic later, but for now, the facts: I'm 36 (turn 37 on Sunday!), 5'7", about 128 lbs (oh, and female). I'm okay with my weight - I care more about improving my fitness. I've been exercising on and off since about May, mostly just running. Again, I've been somewhat sporadic about it, so I'm only up to about 4 miles at a time at my best, and I run reeeaaaally slowly. I usually run outdoors, but I timed myself on a treadmill at the gym, and it takes me about 34 minutes to do a 5K (sooooooooooo slooooooooooooooow... ::cry::).

I'm honestly a little clueless about how to proceed. Right now I've been doing the beginner body weight workout that Steve posted 2-3 times a week; that's been going on for about two weeks or so. I'm also still running 2-3 times a week, doing around 4 miles. I try to run a little farther each time I go out. I've also added a little to the body weight workout - trying to hold the planks longer, adding side planks, adding a shoulder press with little 4-lb weights to my lunges, etc. I also try to do a schedule of alternating cardio and strength days, with a day of rest between each pair of workout days.

My diet is decent but could be better. I don't want to go paleo, as I'm trying to stay away from meat for a variety of reasons. But I am cutting back on bread and other grains and moving more toward nuts and fruits for my snacks. This is a process, as I'm trying to eat through my pantry first. This is an area where I could do better, and I'm slowly making changes.

As far as goals, I'd like to get my 5K down below 30 minutes, to run 10K in an hour or less, to be able to do 10 real pushups (I have no upper body strength, it's ridiculous. Even doing 10 pushups on my knees is challenging, and I have to keep pausing) and to squat my body weight.

How do I get there? How do I transition from the beginner body weight workout to something more intense as I get stronger? When do I add on? Should I focus on different parts of my body on different days? As far as running, should I go for speed? Interval training? Distance? Should I mix in some biking to get cross-training benefits? What are some realistic time horizons for my goals?

Any suggestions, encouragement or even just hellos would be much appreciated! Thanks much, and I'm super stoked to be here!

As stupid as it sounds.. what you should do depends on your (real) goals. Basicly you mentioned wanting to get faster, reach 10k and improve fitness. Well whats fitness for you? ;)

I mean stacking up the bodyweight workout is nice but it could(or maybe not) interfere with your running if you do too much.. on the other side stuff like (heavy) squats can really help with getting fast by getting stronger legs. If you change something its best to just change small things and test them for a week or two so you can see how it impacts your body.

For the first two goals you could try to split your running into 3 runs per week.. one thats run really fast but short (like 2k and trying to run as fast as possible while still doing the 2k, also trying to get faster week by week), one thats 4-5k with moderate speed and the final one that you keep increasing week by week up to 10k but do it slower.

Intervalltraining is also nice but personally i like to have stuff controlable and i felt more in controll when having 3 distinct runs like mentioned.

As far as the pushup go, you might want to try clustering. Meaning you do maybe 3 pushups in a row, a pause and repeat that whole thing 5 times. That way you will have done 5 more pushups then right now. Just try to find a cluster size you can easily do and try to complete as many of them as possible with sufficent rest inbetween clusters.

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

Esteel, I really like those ideas about dividing up my runs and about clustering my pushups! I think that will also help with time management, as I can fit in my shorter/faster run on a day when I'm more pressed for time.

I think I also need to start tracking my workouts better so I can have more of an idea about how and when to add things. This is a perennial problem with me - I start a workout and then stick with it. And then stick with it some more. And then keep sticking with it. This time around, I really want to keep improving instead of just getting to a comfortable groove and staying there.

Yeah those fast/short runs can almost be done on any day. Especially if you like running in the morning it helps a lot to ready your shoes and cloth the evening before, so that basicly when you stand up you stumble over your sport gear. 10-20min later you are back and can enjoy a hot shower and start into the day ;)

If you want more ideas with regard to exercising you could take a look at the book 'new rules of lifting' (there is also a version just for girls 'new rules of lifting for women') or www.bodyrock.tv ..

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

Muscle tone means getting stronger muscles ;) I'm sure your beginner body weight workout will make you archive that.

A training log is a really good idea. Just keeping a note on the weight, (pause)time, reps really helps to see where you got better. Those pictures are a great way to see changes too, or some people also measure circumferences too..

Level 2   Human   Ranger

Archived