Forums are back in action! ×

Ready To Get Healthy

So I'm a bit nervous for this, but I'm ready to put aside my past and start my future. I'm 23 years old, and I've been on a weight loss journey for 8 years now. When I was 16 I had Mini Gastric Bypass and as a result, lost a decent amount of weight. Unfortunately, I didn't have anyone to help me learn to be healthy. I plateaued at 170 pounds. While that was a drastic change from my 275 pound self, I still am considered obese.

I may have lost 100 lbs, but I've never truly felt better. Sure, I was more mobile, I could do more things, but I wasn't HEALTHY. Over the past year I've been researching different ways to get myself to the point of health that I want. I want to be able to jog and run miles, I want to be able to kickbox and do martial arts. I'm finally to the point where I'm not staring at the scale every day wondering why I gained a pounds or two pounds overnight, and then stress eating because of it. I don't want to focus on weight anymore.

A friend of mine showed me this site and I admit, I lurked for a bit. I wasn't sure if I'd be welcomed due to my surgery and all. From what I've read, though, the community is very supportive. I hope you can accept me into it!

I'll post a progress picture to start off.

tumblr_m44b8qNR2U1rwolzno1_1280.jpg

The first picture was taken at Haunted Art Gallery in highschool. I can't remember what I was suppose to be - but that's why I'm dressed like that ha. I don't have many pictures from back when I was heavier because I hated taking pictures.

As for goals. I want to be able to lift my own weight or more. I also want to be able to run a few miles. (I'm sure I'll set some more goals up after that. I'm going to start small for now.)

Wow, Frecklez, that's already a drastic change! And I think it's great that you're focused on moving forward and getting healthy. Have you started jogging yet? Running was very hard for me to start with, but I just kept telling myself that every block I ran was progress, and that it was better than not running another block!

Wow, Frecklez, that's already a drastic change! And I think it's great that you're focused on moving forward and getting healthy. Have you started jogging yet? Running was very hard for me to start with, but I just kept telling myself that every block I ran was progress, and that it was better than not running another block!

Thank you! I started jogging a few days ago. A lot of it was getting over the fear or being judged for "doing it wrong", ha. I already feel a ton better doing it a little every morning, though. That's a great way to look at it I'll have to start with that. Little triumphs. :)

Since honesty is important on these boards, I'll also share with you something I do to keep myself going. I have a little chant I do to myself: leaner, longer, faster, stronger. It covers my goals in running, and it helps me picture what I want to achieve. It helps me push forward when I really don't want to.

Archived