Forums are back in action! ×

FINALLY Getting Started (again)

I am just getting back into a physical fitness program. I went clean (primal/paleo) again starting in June when I hit 200 lbs. I eased into my workouts and “perfected†my program over the last few weeks. I am looking for input on my program. I found the list of "in-shape" goals/milestones this past Monday (50 push-ups in a row etc) and decided yesterday to start working towards ALL of those goals.

Below is my current program:

Heavy Bag Work to loosen up

Body Weight Warm Up

Wall Push-Ups (10)

Knee-Ups (10)

Modified Pull-Ups (10)

Inverted Squats (10)

Kettle Bell Swings (25#x15)

Jumping Jacks (15)

10 minute treadmill run

Kettle Bell Swings (25#x20)

Jumping Jacks(20)

Weights

A Day

Bench Press (1800 total pounds – i.e. 30# 60 times)

Squats (1800 total pounds)

B Day

Overhead Press (675 total pounds)

Deadlift (1350 total pounds)

Jumping Jacks(20)

Body Weight Cool Down

Elevated Push-Ups (10)

Knee-Raises (10)

Inverted Rows (10)

Assisted Squats (10)

Jumping Jacks(20)

Stretching

That was my "Introduction Opus", but I do have a question (with a follow-up):

I am wondering - what do you all do on your "off" day? I will clarify that, I know that muscles only grow when they are resting, but if I attempt to live paleo(ly) shouldn't I ALWAYS be working toward hunting/gathering - i.e. no "OFF" day?

Active recovery can be employed on off days, long walks, easy cycle rides, gentle swim.

I do have a query about your problem, I see you are looking at a total amount lifted which I wont question as long as you are pushing yourself while doing it but why is your bench so much higher than your deadlift?

Thank you for the "active recovery" info.

I used the goals/milestones/benchmarks from here NF Newbie Guide and I did the math. I am currently around 180#, so bench pressing my weight 10 times equals 1800 and so on down the list. It was a way to get started, I am hoping that I will get to the body weight 10 times bench press milestone by upping my weight and lowering my reps weekly, but always lifting the goal amounts. In your opinion will that work?

That was my "Introduction Opus", but I do have a question (with a follow-up):

I am wondering - what do you all do on your "off" day? I will clarify that, I know that muscles only grow when they are resting, but if I attempt to live paleo(ly) shouldn't I ALWAYS be working toward hunting/gathering - i.e. no "OFF" day?

Actually, primal/paleo emphasizes MORE "off" days than most other philosophies. Do a lot of intense stuff at once, then take long recovery between. For recovery, walk slowly, perhaps. Or putter around the house. See this post on Mark's Daily Apple.

If you killed a buffalo one day, you would have enough food to last for several days. You'll need time to make new arrows, sharpen your spear, cure/preserve the meat, attend to the pelt, fix up your tent, pick some berries, maybe move the camp, trade with your neighbors, etc. Every day isn't a buffalo hunt.

I think it has to do with intensity levels. You could do a lot and still be low-level in energy output. MDA has a post somewhere (which of course I can't find right now) that describes a typical hunter-gatherer day or week and how their time would be split up.

I've been training 4.5 years now. And recently had the "Every day isn't a buffalo hunt" revelation there myself -- I used to train every time the gym was open (6-9x/week); now I'm down to 3 nights/week. At first it felt like I was also "too lazy" on my off days, but now I'm starting to get out and do more social things (which is a huge change for introvert me), to work in the yard, and to cook & do other household chores.

Thank you for the "active recovery" info.

I used the goals/milestones/benchmarks from here NF Newbie Guide and I did the math. I am currently around 180#, so bench pressing my weight 10 times equals 1800 and so on down the list. It was a way to get started, I am hoping that I will get to the body weight 10 times bench press milestone by upping my weight and lowering my reps weekly, but always lifting the goal amounts. In your opinion will that work?

Yeah with correct intensity and attitude as well as fuel and recovery it will work in time, but seems an odd goal. Deadlifting 3 times your body weight is a much better (IMO) skill/target. Just my 2 cents, could be that I hate the Bench press (which I do lol) but make sure your focus isn't on one lift otherwise you will develop issues and major weaknesses elsewhere.

Good luck with your training.

Archived