Forums are back in action! ×

Mac SW to Replace Quicken?

Oogiem

I am again struggling with the total s**t that is Intuit and Macintosh support. I am running Quicken 2007 and am searching for a replacement.

I don't care about budgeting or on-line bill pay at all

The MOST important feature is direct download of my brokerage transactions and tracking my investment accounts (IRS's 401Ks and the like) and a simple checkbook balancing program. I do a lot of split transactions (one check paying for stuff in several expense categories)

So far I've been trying Moneydance, iBank, Gnucash, SEE Finance and Money

Nothing seems to handle investment accounts and split transactions properly.

Any other suggestions.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Mint.com? Handles split transactions although you have t owait until the check is cashed.

Mint is now owned by Intuit and I don't want to support them at all

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

You won't like this, but I've found that Mint seems to be the best option for simpler tasks like the ones you mentioned. I did a trial for a few of the paid-apps you mentioned, and came out liking mint more.

I'll agree with you though, Quicken 2007 was trash, and so is Quicken Essentials for Mac.

You won't like this, but I've found that Mint seems to be the best option for simpler tasks like the ones you mentioned.

Is Mint still an on-line system only? I do not want any of my personal bank data on someone else's server other than the brief time while I download it from my broker or bank to me. Far too many years in computer security to trust that sort of system.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

I love PeachTree. It's a good program with a lot of support. Never really needed the support though. I would check them out.

Hmm, I can't find anything on their site that talks about what operating system other than DOS and no info on managing investment and brokerage accounts. It looks more like a QuickBooks replacement but Windows only?

Confused here. Do you have a link to what Mac SW you are talking about, I suspect my googlefu is MIA this am and Im not getting to the right place.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

I have used iBank for quite awhile and really like it. i just bought the iPad app and now they will sync each other. It is really easy to use and I am planning on expanding my use of it in 2013 but really using the budgeting and planning portions of it.

Michael

Atlab'Urlyren Druu'giir -- Apprentice of the Crimson RebelLevel 2 Drow Adventurer----------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 3 | CON 7 | DEX 3 | WIS 5 | STA 1 | CHA 2----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Introduction | Current Challenge@michaelramm

As a CPA I completely share your disdain for Intuit and their legendary support services. That being said i you are looking for something that isn't cloud based or at least cloud connected, Quickboks or Quicken are the best options I could recommend based on experience. I know there are tons of other programs out there, but if you are looking to exclude web based programs you'll be missing out on more updated/clean programs, few companies are still putting a lot of effort on non-web software. Right now I'm looking into Wave Accounting as a web based solution and it seems pretty cool. Also every version of QB for mac I've used I've hated. If you really want to commit to a desktop program you might just want to run it on a windows partition on your mac.

Best of luck!

Total newb, but I'm trying 

That being said i you are looking for something that isn't cloud based or at least cloud connected, Quickboks or Quicken are the best options I could recommend based on experience. I know there are tons of other programs out there, but if you are looking to exclude web based programs you'll be missing out on more updated/clean programs...If you really want to commit to a desktop program you might just want to run it on a windows partition on your mac.

not cloud based or web is vital. I spent too many years in computer security to ever trust private data on any server I do not physically control.

QuickBooks does not handle any investment or brokerage accounts so that eliminates it.

Also for security reasons for my clients I cannot run Windows on any of my mac or linux systems so it's not an option to run in a Windows partition.

Looking gain at iBank but last time I looked they could not handle brokerage, 401k or similar stock account transactions, capital gains and losses tracking or deal with a check that covers many different categories aka split transactions. I buy almost everything with a credit card and pay it off with a single check each month. I need to be able to split out the various expense categories and also split out 2 business expenses cleanly in the SW so I can get appropriate reports for my accountant for taxes.

Again I don't care about budgeting or planning, I want tracking and investment support.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

Archived