Forums are back in action! ×

Getting Serious and an Introduction

I don't know how I stumbled upon Nerd Fitness. No clue what-so-ever. I sure am happy that I did. This is an amazing community with lots of support and love for everyone.

Briefly, I am a 31 year old male that works a desk job at a boring insurance company. I love the people I work with and the I couldn't ask for a better office environment. With that said, all I do all day is sit in front of a computer building databases and doing some minor VBA coding. I come home and do the same, except I'm playing games or watching TV. I hit 31 and realized that I needed to lose about 20-25 pounds and knew that I couldn't do that with the same actions. I believe Einstein said that the definition of insanity is repeating the same actions expecting different results. Well, I'm pretty sure I'm not insane (though I know some people that would argue otherwise). I am now changing my actions and expecting different results now.

I joined a gym back in May of this year and initially saw some great results. I shed 10 pounds like nothing. Then the dog days of summer came along and I spent more time at the pool with a beer in my hand than in the gym and put on 5 of the 10 I had lost. Woops. But, I have realized the error in my ways. It was a small setback, but that was it. Just a setback. I'm back in the gym and doing cardio and loving it again.

I joined in order to have some accountability. I will be starting the Paleo diet. I made a promise to myself that I would try it for 30 days. If I don't like it, well, at least I know now. I've started a blog here to track my progress. I will be posting weekly updates of weight and daily updates of my diet. I will try and document my struggles, things I really enjoyed, and potential setbacks.

As far as my exercise, I will be doing a combination of free weights, machines, cardio, and body weight exercises. I've got a book that I made that will allow me to document everything. I will be putting that information into an Excel spreadsheet (of course, hello nerd!). And then putting together some charts to show off my progress. This part I'm really excited about.

Wow, that was a bit longer than I had anticipated. Doesn't matter though. I'm happy to join the rebellion and look forward to all of your support and also to lend my support as well.

Cheers!

-JayJay

[table=width: 600, align: center]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cyborg Ranger

Level 1

«STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2»

"Nothing tastes as good as looking good feels" - Tony Robbins

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

(wordpress)

[/table]

I'm very excited for charts! Will there be scatterplots involved? /drool

Scatterplots, bar graphs, pie charts, etc. Since I do a lot of work in Excel between 8-5 every day, I might as well use my skills I've learned to display my progress.

[table=width: 600, align: center]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cyborg Ranger

Level 1

«STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2»

"Nothing tastes as good as looking good feels" - Tony Robbins

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

(wordpress)

[/table]

Good start, I think there would be a few of us (me included) that would consider days by the pool and drinking as a good cost to 10 pounds gained (but I understand what you mean by undoing your progress) make sure that you aren't denying yourself lifes little treats but that they are treats and not a lifestyle!

I'm not as excited as others by the charts though :S lol

Fellow inurance industry desk jockey here. Welcome and congrats on your successes so far!

The funny thing about me and spreadsheets...I only like them when I'm doing them for myself. Personal bugeting and household type stuff. Work-related? Not so much.

Porkins

Human Adventurer, Star Pilot, and Bacon Aficionado-(Lvl 3)
STR 4.5 | DEX 1.5 | STA 6.5 | CON 9 | WIS 1.75 | CHA 5.75

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try" ~Yoda/ Veritas vos liberabit

1, 2, Current Challenge

Archived