Forums are back in action! ×

I am giving up giving up.

So my husband totally ticked me off last night. And what he did this time was totally unforgivable...he called me on my bulls**t. I love my husband to death and he's always incredibly supportive. I don't remember how the conversation got started, but we started talking about my workouts...or lack thereof. And I went on the defensive bringing up all the tired excuses: I don't have time, I won't do it if it isnt fun, I'm too tired at night, too busy in the morning...you know how it goes. So he emailed me a link to a 20 min circuit workout that only uses bodyweight. I checked it out and convinced myself that workouts like that we're definitely doable. What I didn't do however, was actually try it. More excuses, I feel like crap today, I'm cramping too bad, I can't find my other vibram shoe...weak, I know. Then I started thinking, when was the last time I actually felt good? And it's sad, but I couldn't remember exactly, except that it was about a year ago when we were paleo. When we ate paleo my blood sugars, which I had struggled to control for 10 years and usually failed; having to take large amounts of insulin, were under control. But of course we didn't dedicate ourselves to the lifestyle, coming up with more excuses as to how it wasn't working, we're too busy, it's too expensive etc... So when my husband got home, I told him, "We're going back to paleo for good." I'm too young to be this tired, I hate being this big, and I need to be healthy for my family. Paleo is the best way for me to manage my diabetes. It's a progressive disease, but I won't go down without a fight. And I am determined to live a long healthy life, with all my limbs and eyesight if I have anything to say about it. I know that I get frustrated easily, and may need inspiration, a pep-talk, and the occasional kick in the butt. So I look forward to utilizing everything NF has to offer, and with any luck get a lil support along the way.

Good for you! I'm glad you've decided to make a change where you felt it's needed. Sometimes people reach their "I Have Had Enough" moment and still don't do anything about it. Recognizing that something needs to change and then making that decision is a big step. :encouragement: What are your goals so that you can get to where you want to be?

Current inspiration for my journey: Prov. 14:23

All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.

Thanks. Honestly, I don't have a ton of predetermined goals because I know I have a long way to go. I know that I need to lose a lot of weight, but what I want is to feel good. To wake up without feeling like I didn't sleep, to not have constant aches and pains, and most importantly; reduce the amount of insulin I need and stabilize my blood sugars. I want to set a good example for my boys and be around for them for a long time. At the rate I was going, I don't think that was going to happen.

You don't need to have a ton of goals, just like 3-4 and a plan on how to achieve them, and you kinda have part of that already. :) Making a concrete plan tends to help with reaching a goal. So if I'm getting this right, the goals you've mentioned to get to your main "feel good goal" are to: 1. lose weight, 2. get restful sleep, 3. not have constant aches/pains, and 4. reduce insulin/stabilize blood sugars. You also said that you're going to restart Paleo, which could help with #1, 3, and 4. What else do you think you'll do? Come up with more smaller, manageable steps, and make them a priority. Keep us posted on your progress! :encouragement:

Current inspiration for my journey: Prov. 14:23

All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.

Excellent! Welcome to The Rebellion. Starting out is tough as you know. D_chelyst makes a good point: Start with a few specific, measurable goals and go from there. Be accountable, track your progress, and don't get discouraged. If you need help, motivation, or a swift kick in the rump, we're here for you :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Thanks for the positive vibes guys. For starters, 1. I'm going to make versatile budget friendly paleo meal plans every two weeks, so I dont revert back to our old ways. I've been looking at the body weight exercises and will 2. Workout 20-30 mins 3 days a week and increase as I get into better shape, doing interval training on my "off days" to let my muscles rest. 3. I will track my progress so I can see the reasons why I'm changing my lifestyle.

I would also suggest, as a fellow newbie, try going through the body weight workout just to get a baseline for how you are. Does one circuit totally destroy you? Or does a run of all three circuits feel great? Are there some parts of you that are better than others? (I can do the squats okay, but even doing knee pushups kicks my ass - I have pipecleaner arms!) To me, that's also part of developing measurable goals - knowing what your starting point is! Good luck, and please know we're all in this together!

Archived