Forums are back in action! ×

This is bothering me...

IcePrincess

I'm watching Deadliest Warrior, Genghis Khan Vs Hannibal

They keep pronouncing Genghis Chenghis.......I'm always heard it with a hard g. That is just annoying me

Also, I heard a woman on the radio last night that didn't know Cleopatra killed herself and was going to have to google how....I was surprised by that as well.

Ok that is all, for now

They might be using the Mongol pronunciation of the name. I know that some historical figures had diff. names from diff. people. Ceasar was pronounced Ki-Zer by the Germanics during the Roman Empire.

She really had to look Cleopatra up...dang.

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

I know that some historical figures had diff. names from diff. people. Ceasar was pronounced Ki-Zer by the Germanics during the Roman Empire.

The reason for Julius Caesar being pronounced with a K instead of a soft C is because that's the proper way to pronounce it (all C's in Latin are pronounced like K's) but a few hundred years after he died, for some reason they started using a soft C instead and it's survived until now.

And yeah, I can agree that it is annoying to find out that something is pronounced way off from what you thought. Genghis Khan is spelt 'Djingis Khan' in my country though, so that one hasn't bothered me.

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

Archived