Forums are back in action! ×

Stepping up beginner bodyweight workout

Rostov

Me:

Male, mid-late 30s, 5' 10", currently 230lbs (104kg). Office job, fairly sedentary lifestyle.

Aims:

Primary: Lose the excess weight for health and general fitness. Not interested in getting particularly 'ripped' or whatever - just not being fat will do me fine. End up with a sustainable, stable state with the appropriate exercise/eating routines and habits to keep the weight off. As for how I ended up overweight in the first place, well, a little bit like this:

(probably NSFW - one swear word)

Secondary: Build a bit more upper body strength - I don't do much lifting in day-to-day activities, but lack of upper body strength has been an embarrassment to me in the past.

Tertiary: Even at my fattest, I still played a team sport. Getting fitter will make me better at it.

Progress:

Phase 1: Turning over a new leaf. Lost an unknown (but noticeable) amount of weight by eating breakfast, cutting down on boredom eating, and exercising more (walking, jogging on a rebounder).

Phase 2: Getting serious and scientific. Lost 17lbs since May through calorie counting, cutting out foods which are poor value in terms of deliciousness and/or fillingness versus calorie content and more frequent rebounder jogging.

Phase 3: Feeling good, seeing results (two belt notches), stepping it up. Recently started incorporating interval training principles into rebounder jogging and started the beginners bodyweight workout every other day.

This is what I'm doing at the moment:

5 mins rebounder jogging

30 Bodyweight squads (though I'm concerned I might not be getting low enough, but if I go lower, my head drops).

30 Knee push-ups. (I've never been able to do proper push-ups, and there's a weird element of fear around them for me that I can't quite account for. One day I'll do a proper one).

30 lunges

30 dumbbell rows each side (I've acquired a 6kg dumbbell)

40 second plank (I've been amazed by my progress with planking, but suspect most of it is overcoming the screaming in my head)

55 jumping jacks

x 3 circuits

5 mins rebounder jogging, stretching.

I finish literally dripping with sweat, am a little tired for the rest of the day, but don't get sore or stiff.

My questions:

1) Should I just keep building up the reps as my capacity increases? I see that Steve's video suggests doing harder variants - am I at that point where I should look at (say) prisoners squats etc.

2) Should I reduce the number of reps, and aim for more circuits instead? Does it matter (bearing in mind aims above)?

3) How should I (or just 'should I') record bodyweight workouts for calorie counting purposes? I don't want to undercount and push myself too far into defecit. At the moment I just log the warm-up/down jogging.

4) I understand some people go to the 'Angry Birds' workout next. Does anyone know why this doesn't include jumping jacks or lunges? For simplicity, or is there another reason?

5) Angry Birds Circuits seem to have a slightly different principle - repeat to failure or to overall target, rather than a number of reps per circuit which should be challenging, but not up to failure. Any thoughts about the major advantages/disadvantages of each approach? Does it matter, ultimately? Repeating to failure scares me (as does the whole body workout thing - I think I'm scared of something - not injury I don't think, but perhaps being too tired/exhausted. Took me a long time to work up the courage to even try bodyweight.

6) Anyone ahead of me on a similar path? How's it going for you?

Very grateful for any answers/thoughts/comments.

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

Since strength gain is one of your goals, I would definitely aim for less reps, more intensity.

My suggestions:

Bodyweight squats > move towards weighed or pistol squats

Knee push-ups > I think this one is obvious. Actual pushups. Try doing at least one. You've been doing planks so the core aspect shouldn't be a problem, and if you can do 30 pushups from knees, you can definitely do one from your feet.

lunges > weighted lunges are an option. Or do walking lunges on an incline

dumbbell rows > increase the weight or switch to inverted rows

plank > I think you have room for adding more time (up to a few minutes, really), but you can also switch to leg raises

jumping jacks > jumping jacks are cardio, so no need to add strength to them. You could switch it up with rope jumping or running

You shouldn't work to failure with bodyweight workouts, as far as I know. Just make sure it's challenging. If you can do 30 reps, three times, it's not challenging you enough for strength gains. Aim for doing 5-8 reps. If you can do them easily, up the intensity some more.

Thanks Avistew, much appreciated.

I've googled pistol squats, and they look.... ambitious. I doubt I've got the strength or flexibility for those, but it would be awesome if I could. I'll have to think about weighted squats, as I don't have (or have access to) much in the way of proper weights. I could get a second 6kg dumbbell to allow weighted squats and lunges. But I might try the variations in the video first.

Push-ups scare me, but I think what I need to do is to try it outside of the bodyweight workout and work on form/overcoming the fear. I was also thinking that I ought to be able to do them by now - I'm stronger and lighter than I was, even if I have little body strength and carry pretty much all my excess weight around my waist. Planking hurts, but I've managed to increase the time by 5 seconds each workout, so I was wondering whether I might have much further to go. I also suspect my body of deciding only in the last 5 seconds that it really really hurts, regardless of how long I've been going for.

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

My questions:

1) Should I just keep building up the reps as my capacity increases? I see that Steve's video suggests doing harder variants - am I at that point where I should look at (say) prisoners squats etc.

2) Should I reduce the number of reps, and aim for more circuits instead? Does it matter (bearing in mind aims above)?

3) How should I (or just 'should I') record bodyweight workouts for calorie counting purposes? I don't want to undercount and push myself too far into defecit. At the moment I just log the warm-up/down jogging.

4) I understand some people go to the 'Angry Birds' workout next. Does anyone know why this doesn't include jumping jacks or lunges? For simplicity, or is there another reason?

5) Angry Birds Circuits seem to have a slightly different principle - repeat to failure or to overall target, rather than a number of reps per circuit which should be challenging, but not up to failure. Any thoughts about the major advantages/disadvantages of each approach? Does it matter, ultimately? Repeating to failure scares me (as does the whole body workout thing - I think I'm scared of something - not injury I don't think, but perhaps being too tired/exhausted. Took me a long time to work up the courage to even try bodyweight.

6) Anyone ahead of me on a similar path? How's it going for you?

Well, in order:

1. Are your numbers for single sets? It looks to me like single sets, in which case I'd up the intensity. Go to incline push-ups before full push-ups though. You're gonna wanna heavier dumbbell for rows though. That or you'll need a moveable pull-up bar so you can do inverted rows (google any terms you don't know)

2. When you switch to a new movement, the number of reps will automagically go down. If you have the time, keep the reps the same, and just pause for a bit until you can continue ala angry birds style. If you're restricted for time, just do as many reps as you can and try to increase that number every workout.

3. So when you count calories, you do straight in versus out correct? There's different ways to count 'em, and you might be better served by a different approximation. The core idea is still the same though; if things aren't working properly, adjust calories. If you feel like you've dipped too low, add some calories. Too much, take away.

4. Angry birds was designed as a quick circuit meant to hit every area strength-wise, whereas you've incorporated some cardio elements. So it has one push, one pull, one legs, one core. That's all to it really.

5. See #2. Also, failure is pretty subjective, just stop when you don't feel comfortable to continue. Being tired isn't a problem, as the work should release endorphins should make you feel better in the long run :)

6. I hit 230 pounds early in highschool, and then lost a lot of it the wrong way around, mostly because I simply didn't know what I was doing. Learn all that you can, and maybe knowledge will help you overcome your fear of failure, and you can find success in your fitness journey :)

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Thanks everyone. The numbers for reps are per set, rather than in total. In terms of calorie counting, I'm using myfitnesspal to record calories and exercise, and use it to set targets for 1lb per week weight loss. Not recording the bodyweight workout doesn't seem to be causing any problems so far, but I try not to undershoot my calorie or protein targets for those days. [Found out about nerdfitness on their forums - someone mentioned it in passing and I was intrigued by the name].

Re Squats: I think what I've been doing is keeping my head up and trying to look ahead, rather than letting it drop a little and looking at the ground. Probably my feet have been a bit straight too. Dropping my head means I can get lower, and much closer to thighs parallel to the floor, but probably still not quite there because of a lack of flexibility and a stomach getting in the way. I'll have another look at some videos, perhaps reduce the reps down, concentrate on form, get lower, and then try a harder version.

Lunges - I'll try prisoner with a twist, and see how that goes.

I've tried proper push-ups and managed two, but I think I can do more once I push through some mental barriers. I'm struggling to explain to myself exactly what they are, but I think I might try incline press ups in the circuit and try a few proper push-ups outside of it, concentrating on form.

Dumbbell rows - thanks for the advice, I'll look into getting some heavier weights. Pull-ups are so far into the future at the moment that I won't think about them yet.

Jumping jacks - if it's 'just' cardio (and I guess a quasi-break for the various muscle groups), I'll probably keep the reps as they are, or drop them slightly and perhaps try to do them faster.

Lunges - time to push the boat out and see if I can get up to a minute in each circuit.

Big red fire engines - was lucky enough to meet Adam Hills briefly a few years ago at the Edinburgh Festival. Top bloke.

Spoiler

Squats: maybe go for a wider stance if your abdominal prisoner is getting in the way. Hopefully you get around this issue in no time if you keep up the work!

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Wow, SO glad I found this thread! I've been doing the beginner bodyweight workout for the 6wk challenge as a PvP....we were going for total reps accrued over the 6wks so I treated it less like strength training and more like endurance. Racked up crazy high reps that way. But, alas the challenge ended early d/t my noble competitor suffering an injury, so I am going to adjust based on a lot of the suggestions here. I want to go back to focusing on strength, so based on what you guys are saying I definitely need to do fewer reps with more weight/intensity. There's so much good info in this thread I'mma print it out so I can keep it in my bodyweight log for future reference! :) Thanks, guys!

I know there's another forum for 'battle logs' and workout recording, I thought I owed people who have been kind enough to offer some advice and guidance a bit of an update. I see from Sambie's post above that I'm not the only one with these questions, so thanks again.

Progress: Weight is now down to 103.5 kg / 228lbs, but I'm pretty sure that's not telling the whole story. Think I'm seeing more muscle definition in my legs and (less so) in my arms, but it's hard to be sure. Went to pre-season training last week and was a bit disappointed with how tired I was.... until I realised how hard I was working and that people I regard as fitter than me were also feeling it. Calorie counting on 'My Fitness Pal' is going well, I'm not going paleo but I am eating better and cooking more, and I'm confident that the changes I've made are sustainable.

I've been alternating 30 mins interval training on the rebounder or 45-60 mins jogging on one day with the bodyweight workout the next, with occasional rest days and one night a week playing sport.

5 mins rebounder jogging

20 Bodyweight squads with hands on my head. Took AJ's advice on a wider stance and I'm getting lower. Watching videos of people doing squats with weights made the final position much more obvious.

6 quasi proper push-ups, 4 knee push-ups. Increased this gradually. Today managed 6 in a row on the first circuit, 4 then 2 (after 2 sec break) on the other two. Form isn't great, but my stomach is brushing the floor even if my nose isn't yet. Think I'll go for 7 proper, 13 knees to get it up to 20 next time.

20 lunges with hands on head. I keep forgetting which way the twist goes, so I've left that out for now.

30 dumbbell rows each side (6kg dumbbell - hopefully picking up an adjustable set tomorrow, but 30 with 6 still hurts)

45 second plank (managed 60 secs once, but struggled to get to 30 on the second and third circuit - think that push-up efforts is making this tougher)

50 jumping jacks (reduced this to a round number)

x 3 circuits

5 mins rebounder jogging, stretching.

My plan is to get heavier weights for the dumbbell row, and make progress with push-ups. The rest might stay more or less the same for now, though I might try pushing planking back up to 60 secs again, or (more likely) look into tougher variations.

Spoiler

Archived