Forums are back in action! ×

on bingeing

at348am

I have a history with binge eating. and I hate it. I've gotten better, but I just did it again and I'm really disappointed in myself. It started with a personal issue a couple days ago and I held it off for about a day and a half, but then it caught up with me and I caved. I'm going to try to just move on and start over tomorrow, but right now I'm very unhappy with myself. And I thought if I could admit that to someone it would help me cope.

I was a serial binge eater. My weakness was (is) chocolate biscuits. I can still eat three packets without blinking.

What helped me was generally shaping my attitude towards food and my own diet. Having to eat healthy isn't a punishment for being fat, it's a reward you're giving your body. You body will give back by living longer, looking better and being stronger. Eating all the foods you crave is a similar reward, but this time it's for your mentality or for "being good". When you push yourself with exercise, to the point where you can say "I now exercise for 5% of my day" you no longer want to eat unhealthy, because then you're just wasting 5% of every day.

Just tell yourself you won't overdo your comforts or your rewards, and most importantly forgive yourself for being human. Being good half the time is better than not being good at all. You only fail when you stop striving to be better.

Thanks for the response. I mostly just wanted someone to acknowledge my struggle. I have to say though, that it seems like binge eating isn't the same for me as it is/was for you. I don't, in any way, feel like eating healthy is a punishment for being fat. I am happy with my weight and I love eating healthy. Binge eating is not a reward for me. Its actually quite the opposite. Its punishment. I binge when I feel like I am failing at something or when I feel like I've let myself or someone close to me down. I was upset tonight before I even started eating because I really didn't want to binge, but I knew I was going to. I don't really know how to explain it. Its like, the rational (read: sane) part of me knows that eating isn't going to fix anything, but then the other side dominates and I feel like I lose all control. Its kind of Jekyll and Hyde I guess.

If you eat so much your stomach hurts, or you feel like you can't control the habit, or if you "purge" (take laxatives or force vomiting) after you binge, then I urge you to talk to a counselor or call a help line. There's a difference between overdoing junk food (which we all do sometimes), and a true addiction. Your remarks about "losing control" and "punishing yourself" make it sound like a compulsive behavior, which is worrying.

Binge eating is a type of eating disorder which is quite serious if not treated. There are help resources out there, let me know if you need some pointers.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Thank you. I appreciate your concern. I've struggled with binge eating for as long as I can remember. I recognize that it is an eating disorder, and I have seriously considered getting professional help for it at several points in my life. After years of struggling, I have learned how to successfully control it most of the time, but there are still moments when I just can't quite hold it together, and this was one of them. I am really learning a lot about the role that food plays in my life within this community and I am thankful for that. This is the first time in my whole life that I have ever reached out to any kind of community or support system while trying to lose weight and create a healthy relationship with food, and it has helped me a lot.

Stop "seriously consider" getting help and actually GET some. Please. If your problem has not gone away on its own by now, it isn't gonna. Just talk to somebody. Just talking can help a lot, and they'll listen. Most of these are toll free so any phone will work (even a pay phone).

and next time you feel like bingeing, make a phone call instead.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Stop "seriously consider" getting help and actually GET some. Please.

Seconded. You posting here is a good step in that direction, but you're unlikely to find qualified counselors. The NF community is pretty damn fine, and we love to help our fellow nerds out, but there are some things that need a higher level of support. So please, call a helpline, arrange to go to a meeting or two. Look after yourself mate :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

Archived