Forums are back in action! ×

It's been a long road... but I think I'm figuring it out... HI!

Been reading NF occasionally since way back 2+ years ago? when gawker picked up on the "travel the world" article. Dug the idea, enjoyed some of the motivational blog posts, but I never really dug deeper to figure out what it was about.

I'm almost 40 years old and a life long nerd. To the nth degree. I ride a desk all day and leading a software design group. I've played every MMO ever starting with EQ1 (where I met my wife at a 2003 EQ nerdvention) and more recently, I've been leveling every char in D3 for some odd reason. I used to literally sit in front of a computer or the TV about 15 hours out of every day - and still do around 12. I had some health issues late last year, so I started 2012 off like many newbs do - a new years resolution to get "in shape". Only this time, I stuck with it.

I decided I had to have a solid goal, so in Jan I signed up for a June triathlon. Now I had to do something. I trained 5-6 days a week and made some dietary changes. Over the course of about 3 months I lost 30 lbs, but then I hit a plateau. No more weight loss. Stubborn fat remained. In June I finished my tri and realized I had two choices. I could call it good and probably begin a slow slide back into overweight-dom or I could push it further.

I chose to push and bought Insanity. I just finished that program last week and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. However, it has changed my life. During the first 30 days I wasn't happy with the results and I was eating really clean (but lots of whole wheat and dairy). Then I decided to go paleo and WOW, what a difference during the last 30 days. I finally realize that nutrition is the answer. Only took me 40 years. I've learned tons in 2012 and I want more. So, I'm here now. Bought the Rebel fitness guide, a set of SelectTech dumbells, a pull up bar, and I'm about to start my next phase.

Now I just need to figure out another non-nebulous goal. Any suggestions?

What are you most interested in? Strength building, endurance, flexibility, speed? Or do you want a goal for each?

I suppose all of the above. I enjoyed my tri and plan to do more so speed and endurance are important. However, I also want to get stronger and expand upon my new found muscle definition. I want a 6 pack. Flexibility seems like the glue that holds it all together. I've read sometimes these goals can be counterproductive, but I'm thinking that I'm mostly interested in a well rounded approach without killing myself doing x-fit.

Archived