Forums are back in action! ×

Diet while lifting questions

Lefeux

So I am still trying to loose BF% (hovering around 20%) but have just started incorporating a weight program (on week 2) into my regime.

Currently my schedule is:

T, Th, Sat - cardio 35-45 minutes

W, F, Sun - weights

M off

My weight routine is:

Bench press 5x5 @ 105lbs

Squat 5x5 @ 155lbs

Dumb bell overhead press 5x5 @ 25lb each hand

leg curls 5x5 @ 135 lbs

pull ups - as many as I can

planks 2x 30 sec

My question is that I am running between 1800 and 2k calories (BMR is 1855). Do I need to increase it because I have actually started lifting heavier/at all? My goal as stated is to get down to 15% body fat and a BMI of 25 or less. I am not really too concerned with weight any more.

Thanks for the input!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Calorie deficit is a good way to "trim the fat" away from your body but not necessarily the only way. After heavy lift days be sure to eat a fair amount of protein to give your muscles energy to rebuild with. A lot of people on NF (me included) are fans of the Paleo diet and it is quite effective (from my own experience and from the changes seen through success stories like Staci). The most important thing I think though it to make sure you are eating good calories and not throwing them away in things like Pop, candy, that sort of thing especially for BF%. Not sure if my ramblings helped at all...but maybe a little?? haha

Reach your limits and then surpass them.

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:
Class: Ranger
Race: Human
STR:13.5 DEX:8.5 STA: 10.5 CON:6 WIS:5 CHA:6.5

Thanks! I am doing full Paleo (one of my 6 week challenge goals.) I have also been intermittent fasting, but on days that I lift I have a good breakfast to follow up the work out. On fasting days I still manage 800 to 900 calories per meal (i have lunch and dinner) that consist of meat veggies and fruits.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Thanks! I am doing full Paleo (one of my 6 week challenge goals.) I have also been intermittent fasting, but on days that I lift I have a good breakfast to follow up the work out. On fasting days I still manage 800 to 900 calories per meal (i have lunch and dinner) that consist of meat veggies and fruits.

If you are lifting in the mornings what do you eat following your workout as part of your breakfast?

Edit: Also since you are doing 5x5 how is that last set for each of those exercises for you? Do you struggle getting that last rep up? Or is it done easily? Don't be afraid to challenge yourself to get to that next weight as this will promote a higher working heart rate which in turn will use up fat stores as energy etc. and on top of that you will just keep getting progressively more awesome and strong!!

Reach your limits and then surpass them.

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:
Class: Ranger
Race: Human
STR:13.5 DEX:8.5 STA: 10.5 CON:6 WIS:5 CHA:6.5

@ Blind

My normal breakfast (I fast until noon on days that I don't life but do cardio. I do take a 13g BCAA before my workouts though so its not totally fasted workout) is:

3 eggs scrambled w/ diced ham and bell peppers

6-8 slices of bacon

2 hard boiled eggs (forgot them today. :( )

a couple of pieced of fruit

As for the workouts, yes usually by the last set and last 2-3 reps I am struggling (especially on the BP and DB Pr). I plan on increasing the BP and Db Pr by 10 lbs each of the next three weeks. I will then transition into the Rebel Strength Barbell Battalion workout for my next work out. I will be adding 20 lbs a week to my squat over the next 3 weeks. I am doing it gradually so I don't hurt myself. I will be replacing the leg curls with a dead lift when I transition to the RSBB workout for the next challenge.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

You will need an overall caloric deficit in order to lose fat, but keeping your muscle is quite possible. Starting out with more fat will help, but 20% isn't very high to begin with. The only way to know if your plan is working is to keep lifting, and see if it works. It sounds simple, but you'll know if you're not getting stronger.

Agreed. I have been maintaning a caloric intake of about 1800 calories a day (BMR is about 1850) then I am working out 4-6 days a week burning upwards of 2500 calories. I was just wondering at what point I should shift my caloric intake higher. I suppose as long as I am still loosing BF and BMI and getting stronger (accidently did a set of 115 vs 105 bench press. Wondered why it was heavy!) then I will just go with whats working for now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Agreed. I have been maintaning a caloric intake of about 1800 calories a day (BMR is about 1850) then I am working out 4-6 days a week burning upwards of 2500 calories. I was just wondering at what point I should shift my caloric intake higher. I suppose as long as I am still loosing BF and BMI and getting stronger (accidently did a set of 115 vs 105 bench press. Wondered why it was heavy!) then I will just go with whats working for now.

Up your calories once you start taking longer to recover. And when you do, just add 50 or 100 to start to see if that gets you back to where you want to be.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Archived