Forums are back in action! ×

An End to Begin On

Hello fellow nerds,

I am a 19 year old student that just started my sophomore year in University. I have been stalking these forums and basically this whole site for a while, it's been on and off, so the same goes for my exercise routines. (Really, it was hard to stick to anything. My attention span needs work.) But I have always loved this site, as well as the ideas and intentions behind it.

Recently, my boyfriend of three years left me - not going to go into too many details. I have never been in a relationship before this one so I've been pretty out of it, to say the least. And while I am aware that these things take time and it's barely been a couple days, I want nothing more than to forget it and move on.

So after I sleep tonight, I hope to place all my focus on myself, or at least as much as I can, then go on from there. I have a new school year ahead of me with a few friends to help along the way, but it's more than school I wish to focus on. NF has inspired me to follow my dreams of travel - which my ex discouraged me on many times because of money costs and my ongoing student loans - so I wish to save money on that plan. Most importantly, I want to get fit. I am 5"7' and roughly about 125 lbs. I'm not very strong or flexible, so I have not reached my full potential yet. I cannot remember the last time I worked out. I plan on doing simple body weight circuits in my house for now, but I also plan on running and possibly joining martial arts at my school with a friend a little later. As for diet, paleo slowly seems promising.

In all honesty, I still feel like crap and my emotions have a very long time to settle but this is my goal and I hope to see it as a kick start to finding myself and rebuilding my own confidence. All in all, I hope the plans I make here become the plans I follow in the long run, because there is no longer anyone else to influence them. Any words of encouragement or some advice on how to begin would be much appreciated!

Welcome!

I always feel like a workout helps with getting back to feeling good. How did Mark Rippetoe put it: 'A stonger person is harder to kill and more useful in general' ;). After a workout you really feel better and less stressed.

If you are looking for ideas on body weight exercices you good look up some examples in Steves blog or sites like www.bodyrock.tv , there is lots of stuff you can do at home or with minimal equipment.

I'm sure you will be back in the saddle in no time!

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry that you've gone through a break up, but your post title says it all...a new beginning is a result of something else ending. I agree with esteel above, I know how much better I've felt since I started to the basic body weight workouts. My energy level is better and so is my focus at work. Spending time on yourself will pay off in the long term for sure!

As for advice, check out the basic body workouts (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/). This is what I'm working on and it's surprising how difficult it is, it took me a few weeks to get into a routine but it feels great. The extra energy and focus should really help you with school too!

Good luck!

Dragon Rider (in training)

Adventure Class

STR-6.75/DEX-2/STA-5/CON-5/WIS-3/CHA-4.2

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.

Andy Warhol

More will sometimes be demanded of you than is reasonable. Bear it meekly, and exhaust your time and strength in performing your duties, rather than vindicating your rights.

~ Horace Mann

Thanks for the extra resources guys, I've looked into them and am borrowing a few simple weights from my roommate to get started this week. :) As for today, I finally got myself to start getting back into running today and can't say I'm off to a great start but it could be worse. I ended up tripping and cutting up both my knees on the trails I live by. (I'm a clumsy person in general, so it's no surprise.) My reaction was more frustration than anything, so I just cleaned up quickly and went back to run with my friend. So it at least happened! The routine from Steve's blog looks promising so that will be tomorrow's work out with the weights and I'll see how I feel after that! I mean physically, I've felt a little better and tiring myself out has allowed me to sleep better too. Emotionally though I haven't improved much and schoolwork needs a better jump-start because of that. So I really need time to be on my side and get into these new routines fast! I'm planning to jump into making an exercise blog after tomorrow... so we'll see how that goes :)

Archived