Forums are back in action! ×

shoes!

ok, so. a few of us have kind of hacked knightwatch's challenge thread to talk about shoes, so i decided maybe its worthy of its own thread (and some of what i'm saying here is repeat from what ive said there, but for those of you who havent read it: :))

and im also seriously interested in what shoes everyone wears. :)

what shoes do you wear for short distance running?

what shoes do you wear for long distance running?

what shoes do you wear for lifting?

what shoes do you wear for workouts that involve both?

what shoes would you wear in a house?

what shoes would you wear with a mouse?

what shoes would you wear with a fox?

what shoes would you wear in a box?

what shoes would you wear here or there?

what shoes would you wear anywhere?

i personally wear my vibrams 90% of the time.

if they are newly washed and not dried yet, i'll wear my chucks.

this is for both running and weights.

a few weeks ago i thought maybe i should have a little more support while running, so i tried nike frees and got massive amounts of pain in my foot, so i returned them (backstory, for you newlings, i hurt my foot a few months ago and it still gives me problems sometimes) . when i went back to running in the vibrams, lo and behold there was no pain at all.

i also have been considering a crosstrainer for days when jumping rope is involved mainly because the rope gets stuck in between my toes if i dont hit the jump just right, and jumping feels a little weird in the chucks for some reason.

now that ive been running in the vibrams/chucks, my running sneakers feel extremely heavy when i do put them on.

i've heard sambas are awesome but havent tried them because i have 4 or 5 pairs of chucks.

other things that have been said over there:

Yessir, Chucks they are. The main thing you want to look for is a flat sole. Absolutely. A flat, thin sole. You want to really be able to feel the ground as you drive against it. Many of the best lifters will do deads and squats barefoot for that reason.

If anything, worn out running shoes would be a better option than new ones, simply due to wearing out the sole and tread some.

Before I switched to Chucks, I used to squat with 10 pound plates under my heels to better help me with that "drive". It felt more solid, and I wouldn't be apt to pitch forward so much. Right when I switched to a flat-soled shoe, I suddently didn't need them anymore and could replicate that drive on my own. I doubt that's coincidence.

The other reason I like Chucks? Price. Really simple, really cheap.

A more expensive, but perhaps a better "all around" shoe that I've been hearing a ton about late, are INOV-8s.

http://www.againfaster.com/again-fas...e-unknown.html

Sambas are awesome. I have used them for running, muay thai, running, working in cafes, running, working retail, my park obstacles, running, selling running shoes, and pretty much everything EXCEPT lifting. I will have to try them for that next. I figure you get the same flatness and lightness (and flexibility, once they're broken in) as with a pair of nike frees that costs more than twice as much. I'd never tell you that at work though.

alr

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Yep, well, I said it up there. The vast, vast, vast majority of my workouts are done in Chucks. If my CF gym isn't doing much on the way of deads, squats, presses, or cleans (and let me say, it's very rare for it to be the case that at least one of these aren't taking place), but we're doing running and jump-roping and burpees and boxjumps and stuff, I'll wear my running shoes. I'm seriously considering ditching these, though, and moving to the aforementioned sambas for all that "general" work. If ever I work back up to a five mile run or more, than I'll look into more dedicated running shoes again (or at least crosstrainers).

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

For most running and park workouts, I have been using a beat down old pair of New Balance 905's, which is counterintuitive because I am a neutral/slight underpronater and should theoretically do better in neutral cushioning shoes, but all the neutral cushioning running shoes I have used have sucked for me. I need lightweight and flexible shoes and have crazy high arches and the 905's were the first of the lighter more minimal NBs that were available here. I am looking forward to trying the next generation, though, and hopefully find a pair without the unneeded stability features.

I can't run or do anything else in Chucks because of my arches.

I love Sambas. I need a new pair because my daughter appropriated my last one and stunk them up and wore them out. Damn adolescent sweat glands and shoe thieving! Thankfully I have to wear the kids' sizes which will make them cheaper. My only issue with them is the lack of arch support, which I plan to fix for work with inserts that I can take out when using them for other stuff.

I tried some Nike Pegasuses and Motos at work and even made it home with a pair of Motos on clearance and while they are sort of ok for a few minutes, there's no way I could deal with either one for much running, but my hated Asics are awful and my NBs are really worn out so I caved and got a pair of Run Lites since they were down to $20 and I need a back up pair until I can afford the new NBs and possibly a pair of Adizeros. I really like those. They are very light and the elevated heel is supposed to shift runners' weight to the forefoot, which is perfect. I am a bit of a toe walker and toe runner anyway, so I think it will feel more natural to me, which is what I like.

If anyone knows of something lightweight, flexible, and unobtrusive OTHER than the whole vibram/free/barefoot thing, lemme know. I hate the Free XTs, am on the fence about Free Runs, and refuse to ever wear anything that makes my feet look more monkeyish than they already do. I have to have some protection a lot of days because jumping from rock to rock and running through creek beds can be a little dangerous otherwise.

Oh, and since I started randomly and should finish that way, here are my lists-

shoes I love:

Sambas,

New Balance 905

shoes I have hated:

Nike Motos (way too much shoe for me)

Asics Cumulus (so much cushioning it actually hurt, clunky, and NOT flexible at all)

adidas Kanadia (horrible blisters and they seemed to actually magnify the impact when I ran in them after the first couple of weeks - OUCH CALVES!)

shoes I still want to try

Free Runs (mostly curiosity there but I do like lightweightness and flexibility)

Adizeros

the clearance pair that has been sitting in my closet since I have been sick for a while.

alr

"The future will be different if we make the present different."

Peter Maurin

Well lets see, in the house I wear a pair of Land's End slip on all weather mocs with an additional arch support and lift on one side (1 leg is somewhat shorter than the other) I've done all my body weight workouts wearing these.

Outside on the farm I wear rubber irrigating boots also with an extra arch support and lift on one side. In winter I wear 2 sizes larger and add in a pair of wool felt liners and wear extra warm socks, in summer I wear my regular size. I go through about 2-3 pairs a year of these, buy them at the feed store in town. I don't do long distance running at all but I have chased down sheep and poultry in them.

For going to town I have an outside pair of the Lands End all weather mocs and I also have a pair of Chaco hiking boots (now no longer made) that I wear when traveling or for any significant walking. I love the Chacos and dread the day when they eventually wear out.

If I'm helping the neighbors bottle wine I have another pair of Chaco boots that I use as my winery shoes. Can't have manure or mud in the winery so they are reserved for that purpose.

Other shoes worn on occasion, a pair of medium heel square toe pumps I wear with my 1680 historical costume and my 1300s historical costume. They are not accurate but close and I don't need full accuracy for the things I do. I can do most outside work in these as well as spinning. I can't change the irrigation water but then I don't do that in costume. I also have a pair of medium high heel leather boots, most women would wear them with skinny leg pants or skirts, they are rather fashionable, I wore them for Halloween with a black witches outfit and my handmade cloak. I got them at the thrift store for $5 so even if I hardly ever wear them they were an reasonable find.

For weaving I just use stocking feet, I can't feel the treadles with shoes on.

I still own my custom english riding boots but I don't ride now so they are really just taking up closet space. I can't bear to part with them though.

Lastly if I need to go to a funeral I have a pair of fancy high heels that goes with my black velvet dress and jacket. That's the only time I wear them. Sadly a bit too often for my tastes.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

At home, I go without shoes for the most part. At work, I wear big stinking boots because I'm forced to.

At all other times, I wear Sambas. I love how lightweight they are and it feels as if I'm not wearing shoes at all. I don't need the extra cushion I just don't want to feel as though I'm weighed down.

I did just buy a pair of Reebok cross-trainers for weight training but have yet to test them out. They feel lightweight but appear bulkier. I'll update when I figure out whether I like them.

Mad Sci

Dwarf Warrior Level 1

STR: 3.5 DEX: 3 STA: 1.5 CON: 3 WIS: 3 CHA: 2

My Challenge/Fitocracy

I went to RunTex here in Austin back last May and after watching me walk, they recommended these New Balance 760. I've been using these for Walking, Running, and Crossfit. I've been thinking of trying Vibrams the next time I buy shoes, but I'm still not 100% convinced.

On weekends, I wear a pair of Merrill Hiking boots are which are the most confortable shoes I own!

At work (and any special occasion) I wear Wolverine 1000 mile boots. Yes, they are pricey (I was better employed when I bought them), but I do love them.

Thanks to the guy at the shoe place I went to, I was nudged away from my beloved Nikes the last time I went shoe shopping. I'm now wearing Brooks, Switch 3 to be exact. And I've been wearing these shoes for everything for the past 6 months.

I'd appreciate any helpful comments on whether or not I really should be using these shoes during exercise and normal day to day stuff. I'm not exactly very knowledgeable on these kinds of things, so it always helps to get multiple opinions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Valthir

Level 1 Tiefling Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 4 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Twitter| Email

I'm wearing Brooks ... something. I have no idea, only that at the time, it was the only pair of sneakers in the shop that fit my feet. I usually wear flats that are basically a loose soft shell that protects the bottom of my feet from the ground, sneakers, or occasionally heels. I wander around barefoot at home and at work, mostly.

Joys of really strangely shaped feet - I don't often get a choice of shoe, beyond 'the pair that fits'. I pronate heavily, have awesomely narrow feet (AA fitting or something stupid), really narrow ankles, oddly shaped ankles, and very tender skin. So shoes come off my heels, ALL THE TIME, usually taking all the skin there with them. I'd be keen for shoe recommendations that can address some of these issues, but bear in mind I live in Australia, and getting access to them to try them on before importing them may be difficult.

Half Dragon, Half Elf, Level 0.5 Assassin - I flame people when cranky, but I'm seriously kickass.STR 4 | DEX 2.5 | STA 3.25 | CON 5 | WIS 8.75 | CHA 4 | Challenges: 1  2 3 4 5 | myFitnessPal | Spreadsheet | fitbitChallenge 6, Back to the assassin's rootsBlog: float knowledge return wisdom;

Photography

I used to do workouts barefoot, but since I put on my vibrams tonight and did a workout with them again [the last workout I did with them was back in May of last year -- guess I forgot how nice they were], I'm back to vibrams at the house.

New PR and much better stability and weight management. I love barefoot technology for dealing with stupid carpet when working out...

Running, i wear Under Armour - Neutral. They are super light and fight so snuggly you barely have to lace them up. The support is great because they make a few different ones for how your foot hits the ground when you walk and run. Mine hit just about centered so thats why i'm wearing the neutral variety. They are great and unless i can find a pair of nike's or new balance that fit better when the time comes i will be getting another pair. I also wear them while crosstraining and just about everything physical i do.

As far as around the house, out, etc. i go with my trusty black slip on vans and my new pair of PF Flyers. they are awesome!

Work shoes consist of "chuck style" from shoes for crews for the non slip awesomeness.

-ben

the world is too incredible to bring such ugliness into it

I'm wearing Brooks ... something. I have no idea, only that at the time, it was the only pair of sneakers in the shop that fit my feet. I usually wear flats that are basically a loose soft shell that protects the bottom of my feet from the ground, sneakers, or occasionally heels. I wander around barefoot at home and at work, mostly.

Joys of really strangely shaped feet - I don't often get a choice of shoe, beyond 'the pair that fits'. I pronate heavily, have awesomely narrow feet (AA fitting or something stupid), really narrow ankles, oddly shaped ankles, and very tender skin. So shoes come off my heels, ALL THE TIME, usually taking all the skin there with them. I'd be keen for shoe recommendations that can address some of these issues, but bear in mind I live in Australia, and getting access to them to try them on before importing them may be difficult.

If you are a serious overpronator, you really can't do better than Brooks. I am guessing you are in Ariels or Adrenalines? With your other specifications, I would not recommend anything else if you came in when I was at work. New Balance has a wide range of widths, but Brooks is probably going to o more for your pronation issues and if what you are wearing now works for you, I would recommend sticking with it.

alr

"The future will be different if we make the present different."

Peter Maurin