Forums are back in action! ×

Yet another post to all those that bother to read this forum

Starting over and it's about time to. So here goes then.

Back Story: Once upon a time in my life I was very fit as a kid/teenager doing gymnastics and soccer along with other feats of strength. I set a couple school records for dips, pushups, situps, and rope climb that remained at the top spot 18 years later when the school closed. I was beast as a youth. Then I moved and got fat which led to the fat/fit/thin roller coaster. I went from martial artist to the military and stayed fit & thin for awhile. Got married, got a job, got fat, got strong and fit, got hurt, got better, got a different job that meant I drove a car even further to work. You know how the rest plays out. Rinse repeat the diet fads, never really reclaim that fitness level of days gone by. Enough about the past, can't change it.

Modern Times: I found out that I had a gluten allergy with a note from my doctor I sent out to change everything I shoved in the food hole. I cut out all carbs (grain, sugars and "safe carbs"), all soy, all corn, all liquid other then water. I went whole foods for 6 weeks, not really knowing what I was doing past "it didn't come from a box and I made it". I knew about Paleo, Atkins, and the friends of the damn Zone diet, but I really started to look at the retro diet scene. I got a copy of Good Calories, Bad Calories and took notes. Started in on the Paleo Solution podcast and book. Made some changes at week 7 and dropped a few more pounds. Week 10 start down the IF trail and knocked out my first trouble spot.

I'm currently only strength training twice a week mainly to keep what I have. I'm working mostly on my core and flexibility, moved to more o-lifting and compound movements aka less beach body workouts.

Goals:

• Loose 77 lbs to get me into the 220 range and see how things look and feel. Will set 2nd mark from there.
  • Improve blood markers* and piss off the doctor
  • Lift heavier things then I am now for longer
  • Run 6 miles at 7 minute pace.

Current Benchmarks:

• Sex: Male
  • Starting Weight: 297 - Current Weight: 272
  • Height: 6'0"
  • Bench: 205 (old max was 315)
  • Mile in 14 minutes walking

That's the story and the goals I've set and since it's on the internet it must be true.

J.

*My total cholesterol was 210 and Doc wanted to stick me on Liptor, pound sand was the answer he got. I'm going with the diet change. I was already 4 weeks into the whole foods things. He agreed to wait 3-4 months to see what I can do.

Howdy Thundra,

Nice to meet you as well.

lol, not sure the wife would quite approved of that kind of behavior.

Cheers, J.

P.S. Today's happy unplanned bonus, I'll, be doing my first 24 hour fast having last eatin 3 eggs topped with hollindaise sauce, woohoo. I like happy accidents.

Good luck on your journey sounds like you are definitely headed in the right direction. I started at about the same point you did cholesterol, weight, etc. doc said here's the Lipitor I said no give me time. I changed my lifestyle and sure enough the numbers proved it. It took me a long time to take action but i finally did. Cholesterol and all the other numbers fell right into line and just keep on improving. The support here is really amazing and there is always someone to answer your questions whatever they might be.

Remember to take pictures every few weeks or once a month. It helps keep me motivated seeing the physical changes I am causing.

Welcome to the rebellion.

Jeyung, you've got this. (Some people here may be a bit tired of seeing this from me by now, but, hey, you do.) You've been there before. You know the way. It may take a bit longer than previously, but you can get there again. :)

Good on you for forcing your doc to hold off on the Lipitor, too! Maybe it ultimately is necessary, but as you apparently also do from the look of things, I've believed very strongly for years that many of us are medicated unnecessarily.

Heya Wooksquatch, TurtleRunner, and BopGunner78, Thanks all

Good to hear that your numbers went the right way Wooksquatch, awesome.

I decided not to go zero to hero on anything this time around. Not event the diet. I eased into each part and I completely avoid the carb hang over and the other issues while I headed down to Ketosis land. My killer is there is alway family events and they don' t get what I'm doing. So I just end fibbing and keep expanding my food allergy list. It went from a real wheat allergy to include corn, soy, sugar, rice, potatoes. and nuts. (I don't want those fake nut based flours in my diet either) I find it simpler then trying to explain it all to a bunch of doctor and nurses why I'm not listing to the AMA and my doctor. Half of then are diabetic and almost all of them are statin poppers of some flavor, well those that are older the me. The kids are not at least. They all show the memory loss and other side effects. So longish story short statin suck in my book.

I do believe drugs have ther place as my wife is a cancer surviror, she had some really rare stuff, ala she was the 10th person to have it in the USA since 1989. They've already done a few talks on her case in the local area. One day she join me on the journey completely.

Time to break my frist 24 hour fast.

Cheers, J.

Archived