Forums are back in action! ×

Another newb

Hello everyone!

I've read a few NF blogs over the past few months, and decided to dive in and embrace fitness on a whole new level. I've tried a few different diets before, and tried even more work out plans. I even spent a few months training with a trainer at the local global gym, but looking back, a lot of what he was "teaching" me involved things I already knew mixed with old school mentality.

I am coming off a "get huge" phase of my life. I finally realized that walking around at 205 (5'10) and breathing hard because I had to climb some stairs was NOT the way I wanted to live my life. I was a runner/nordic skier in high school/college, but when I went to the Army I got away from that aspect of life in pursuit of "pretty muscles." I now find myself obsessed with downhill skiing- Alta, UT FTW! I also enjoy motocross and spending my time on two wheels- with or without a motor. Being big and muscly isn't conducive to such activities.

I hope to learn a lot from everyone here, and make good changes to my life. I am eager to get away from 3 hours a day in the gym. I've already started to change my diet to align with the paleo/Primal plan, but baby steps are the key for diet changes for me.

Thanks for reading, and nice to meet you, virtual world!

Baby steps are best if you're attempting a big change from your current behaviors -- when I started, I tried to do too much at once, got overwhelmed, and it threw me off for almost a year. You're smart to keep a sustainable, steady pace. Each little new positive change will build up on the others, ending in a multiplier effect once everything is in order. Slow and steady wins the race.

I have thought about downhill skiing, but as I lack any amount of grace, I've been rather too terrified to try it. Your post makes me want to suck it up and do it, however.

Best wishes!

My blog ---> www.thewallenway.com

Archived