Forums are back in action! ×

Feeling some early success!!!

4-weeks ago I decided to try the paleo diet. My office mate at work has been doing it for a while now, and I've admired the success he achieved with it. So one day at lunch, I jumped in feet first. In the course of my research on the diet, I found NerdFitness, ahhhhhhh! I read some of Steve's articles and resources and really like his approach. So, I gave myself 4-weeks to see how committed I remained and how difficult the lifestyle changes turned out to be as far as my diet was concerned.

Sorry Steve, I didn't take a picture, but there are several very disappointing ones of me from the summer that served as motivation to make some changes.

The last time I weighed in prior to starting, I weighed 205 lbs. Clothes tight and uncomfortable. I've really only made minor changes to my fitness activity. I've tried some of Steve's fitness workouts for office people. I was amazed how much of a workout I got in a very compact amount of time. So 4 weeks later, I weigh 188 lbs, my cloths are now loose, and starting to feel a size too large, and I'm down one belt notch (an inch). I can see the change in my mirror.

When I started the diet, my motivators were weight loss and reducing inflammation. I've had some chronic shoulder pain for over a year now. While I'm not pain free, I'm as good as I ever was on anti-inflammatories, while being off them now for a week.

I have been doing healthy protein, vegetables only for carbs, and mostly only healthy fats. I wasn't keeping track of portion control, only that my food was what I thought it was. I went through the carb withdrawal, along with some pretty bad headaches and energy loss. I've recently started tracking my diet with a iPhone tool geared towards the inflammation diet. Since paleo is for the most part also an anti inflammatory diet, I'm feeling really good about things.

I think my pain levels are to the point were rookie exercise is now possible. I'm looking forward to future successes! I'll keep you all posted.

Congrats on that awesome progress! Being able to see and feel the changes in yourself day to day is the best motivator, in my opinion. You've done great work already, be proud! :) Glad to have you here, sounds like you'll fit right in. Do you plan to choose a guild and do the next challenge?

Archived