Forums are back in action! ×

Please help me resist temptation today! (Yummy treats involved...)

BeigeTurtle

Okay guys. My Achilles' heel has long been my diet in general, and my love of sweets in specific. Today, in Central Park (i.e., right near me), this insanely awesome ice cream sandwich company is having a fire sale on their wares - it's pay-what-you-want. And oh GOD DO I WANT. (I am not revealing specifics because I would hate to drag someone else down with me!!)

Please please please help me resist. Intellectually, I know just one of these things would undo an insane amount of work. I know I might as well mainline lard with a sugar chaser. I know these things are horrible for me... but they're so so delicious! Help me, please! I'm trying so hard to be good, but ice cream sandwiches!! :: cry::

PS. I'm not sure this is the right forum, but what the heck. Apologies if I'm off base.

YOU CAN DO IT! Your intellect is stronger than your cravings. One thing that helps me is to think not about how I would feel while eating the ice cream sandwich, but about how I would feel afterward: disappointed that I let myself down like that and a little sick from all the sugar.

Think about Future BeigeTurtle. You owe it to them to put their health ahead of ice cream.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Loden: Aiel Spearmaiden Adventurer, Lvl 2

STR: 4 | DEX: 3 | STA: 4 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge Thread | Fitocracy

Thats a tough one, good luck with it. It is Friday, take yourself out to lunch in the opposite direction of Central Park. Spend all your money on a big lunch and make sure you are too full to even think about a sweet treat. Then not only do you not have money to spend but definitely dont want to think about eating another thing. If lunch doesn't work, you can always make dinner reservations at some posh restaurant, knowing I am going to be spending big bucks on dinner tends to keep me from spending money during the day, especially on food.

Sweets are my achilles heel as well and I manage to stay away from them. My rule is if it isn't home made I won't eat it, if you apply this to the insanely awesome ice cream sandwiches I would take a pass on them as they are not home made.

Since it is a pay what you want sale set your price tag ridiculously high at $20.00 or more if you have to, this way if you can justify spending that much on a bit of ice cream and two cookies you will probably stop yourself from running out to get it. I would find it extremely hard to pay that much for a sweet treat when I know I can get a few meals for that much. We have a sweet shop in Lake Geneva that has Malted Milk balls and popcorn in any flavor you can imagine, I don't go in there because it's too tempting. The thing that really keeps me out is the prices are through the roof.

You can do it! I decided to cut out processed food/guten yesterday and last night my wife brought a piece of pie home for me. I hadn't told her yet so no fault on her part but now I have to walk by it all day. (good practice I guess)

If it gets really bad and the situation calls for desperate measures try rubber band therapy… Put a sturdy rubber band on your wrist. When you get a craving, pull it out to oh-snap-it's-gonna-hurt position, say out loud "I want/need [whatever you're craving]", snap the rubber band, and then say "I want [healthy substitute]", then promptly partake in said healthy substitute (In my case 2-4 baby spinach leaves out if the fridge). You don't need the sub, instead after the snap you could say "I don't want/like/need [craving]". It's usually a quit smoking tactic, but it's just a brain re-training technique. Eventually your brain equates the craving with the painful snap and the after-snap endorphins with the sub or the "I don't like/need/want [craving]".

Good luck and...

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

If it's Ben&Jerry's Phish Food at "Pay-what-you-want", consequences be damned. You fill your freezer and let me live vicariously through you. Things like this are why I sympathize with people trying to cut though.

You know what helps when you want to eat something sweet? Fruit smoothie. Get some milk, some ice, and your favorite fruit, and even protein powder if you like. Make a smoothie. Or just find some other way to feel like your treating yourself without feeling bad afterwards.

P.S. Remember, if it's not Ben & Jerry's, it's not worth it.

Neutral Good-High Elf Warrior

What we move is far less important than what moves us.

Razor's Three-Fortnight Challenge

Archived