Forums are back in action! ×

A musician / developer from Ukraine, going to join the Rebellion!

Hi there!

I'm Vladimir, living in Kiev, Ukraine. I sing, play guitar and write songs in a Ukrainian rock band called Obiymy Doschu (eng. Rain's Embrace) and also enjoy working full-time as a web developer (with some nice achievements).

I used to have quite a sedentary lifestyle, with 12+ hours a day spent in front of a computer, but several years ago decided to become more active: I started shotokan karate training (after a 12 year break, luckily finding the same teacher that trained me when I was a child), occasional cycling, hiking, playing table tennis daily, running upstairs, etc. And while I still didn't manage to cut back computer hours much (and didn't try much too — I'm still a big computer geek), I'm now enjoying life much more.

I hesitated that training would take too much of my free time (that I wanted to devote to music), but after trying relatively regular training, discovered that I actually gained more time for activities I love because of increased energy level (before that, I would return after a day of work totally exhausted and would just passively watch TV / play games, because I couldn't push myself to do anything active).

But still, there's much to improve. I often have large gaps in my training because of being busy with work and music, and thanks to NerdFitness realised that I have the ability to push my fitness to a whole new level despite lack of free time, and that making a great customized whole-body workout is much easier than I thought. Also, I never really thought about what I eat before — I was always a skinny guy and my weight (140 pounds) didn't change over years no matter how I ate and what activities I did. Steve's articles made me really excited about being more aware of how my body works, how I train and what I eat.

So, really nice to meet you all — looking forward to be a part of the Rebellion. :)

P.S. In 2009, we released our debut album, which we worked on for 5 years and spent 200+ hours in the studio, for free — please check it out, if you don't mind melancholic (maybe at times depressive) acoustic guitar-driven rock music with delicate string arrangements, and singing in Ukrainian.

Monk / Assassin (Shotokan karate + bodyweight training), Level 0

Obiymy Doschu “Elehia†free album download — for all lovers of lyrical, emotional rock music

Welcome! I can definitely relate to spending a lot of time in front of a computer. My days at work are normally 12-14 hours...all of it in front of computers.

It's amazing what a change exercise can make in your life. Keep it up, staying active is key when you have a sedentary job. Believe me, I'm all too familiar with letting life push exercise out of my schedule.

Glad you're here and I look forward to seeing you around the community.

Welcome to the rebellion! Glad to have you on board, and totally impressed with your "nice achievement". I've used it on the geocaching website before, but meeting one of the creators is always cool!

arcticMaiden the Unshakeable

Arctic Adventurer - Level 3
Epic Quest || Travel Blog || Challenge 1 || Challenge 2 || Current Challenge

STR: 8 / DEX: 7 / STA: 9 / CON: 9 / WIS: 6 / CHA: 6

Archived