Forums are back in action! ×

Saving all that big guns for a better moment

Rayen

If you ever played D&D 4e, (the in my opinion best edition for the grown up nerd with not nearly enough time to play) than you know the power system.

If not in short, you have at will powers that you can use when ever you want, encounter powers that you can use once per fight, and daily powers that well you can use once a day.

So most people tend to save up the strongest daily powers for a later fight, even when the fight is though as hell and it is uncertain that there is a next fight. It's like Worms, saving the sheep for the better shot when actualy you need it now.

Playing it save or waiting to long is quite a bad habbit. Sometimes you wait to long to ask a girl out, sometimes you wait to long to ask your boss for more money

So, how do you overcome that?

How do you overcome not waiting too long? Don't wait.

Personally I have a bad habit of being much too proud to just walk up and talk to a girl. It's not how the rest of society views it, but I've always seen it as desperate. So I wait hoping I meet that person mutually somehow. And I wait. And I wait.

Really, if you want something bad enough, you'll chase after it. I haven't seen a girl I want bad enough though.

Neutral Good-High Elf Warrior

What we move is far less important than what moves us.

Razor's Three-Fortnight Challenge

There is a middle ground that is often too hard to find in life. I'm not old and wise, but I've gained a few years experience that has helped me decide when to play my daily powers and when to hold them for that big fight.

The first thing I do is take stock of the daily powers I have at my disposal. If you don't know what you need to expend in life then you can't know when to use them. For example, you might have a nice bit of money saved up or you are willing to "lose face" in a social setting to ask out someone.

Also, I suggest is making a plan on where you want to see yourself in 5 years (although I hate the term "5 year plan"). The reason you should do this is so that you will know when it may be appropriate to use your powers. If you have that money saved up and you want to buy a house in about 3 years, it will help you from wasting you daily power on an minor encounter, like a new Xbox, and hold it for the boss, the house. Your plan might also include a steady relationship and might influence you to stick your neck out there and ask someone out rather than letting them slip by.

Honestly, most things in life are at will or encounter powers. They are your talents and skills that can be conjured up most of the time. Only material things that are not easily obtained should be treated with reserve.

Finally, the more you level up your life, the stronger those daily powers become. The more you tackle some of the situations, like asking a girl out, the easier it becomes to take on another challenge like that in the future.

Lvl 3 Shifter Monk

(STR:5.75) (DEX:5) (STA:5.25) (CON:9) (WIS:11.5) (CHA:4.8)

Live Just and Fear Not

Latest Challenge: Cleaning Up the Temple

Archived