Forums are back in action! ×

Should I gain weight?

Mourner

Steve's articles were super-helpful so far, but I'm a bit confused about one thing... I always considered myself as quite skinny (I can see all my ribs when I raise my arms), having 140 pounds with 5' 10'' height (although I'm in normal range according to BMI calculators, having ~20), but still was always relatively satisfied with my weight. However, some points in the articles left me with an impression that I should focus on gaining weight considerably if I want to become stronger and build muscle mass, otherwise I might workout hard for a long time without any results. Is this true? Should I really force myself into significantly increased caloric intake (with things like GOMAD, etc.), or otherwise all the strength training will lead me to nowhere no matter how hard I try? I'm not quite sure. What do you think?

Monk / Assassin (Shotokan karate + bodyweight training), Level 0

Obiymy Doschu “Elehia†free album download — for all lovers of lyrical, emotional rock music

So, let me get this straight:

You're happy with your weight and its current direction (i.e. none)

You're happy with the progression of your strength and fitness

And you think you need to CHANGE anything?

Many people have fitness goals that involve building muscle bulk. You appear to not have that desire. So, in that case, don't go for weight gain. Muscles can get stronger without requiring intense caloric intake, especially at the low-medium end of the fitness spectrum.

Maybe someday in the future, you'll want to. But right now, you don't. Eat well, with lots of nutrients and few empty calories, and you'll be fine. Consider revisiting your goals every six weeks or so (the Six Week Challenge is a great game, too, hint hint).

Good luck, and do what makes the goals YOU choose a reality.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

Its all about individual goals and personal choice. If you want to be "strong" in the traditional sense, you'll most likely have to increase you're lean body mass. This is most effectively done with heavy lifting and surplus eating. If you're happy with your weight range then reduce you're body fat and increase your lbm. Sounds easy in theory but is difficult in practice.

Archived