Forums are back in action! ×

Need some help for a friend.

Ja_rossjr

My friend is getting married in a month and she wants to lose some weight. There really is no major number she is trying to hit, just lose a little bit so she looks a little better in her dress. She has asked me for my help but I have run in to a few mental speed bumps. First off I am male, so I have no idea how losing weight works for females. Second I am working out to get bigger and stronger, so what she needs is at the opposite spectrum from what I am currently working on. Third, she has a chronic spine problem so she can not work her core to hard. I just need some diet and exercise advice for her.

Thanks all.

With your shield, or upon it.
If you risk nothing, you gain nothing.
Replace fear of the unknown with curiosity.

My Epic Quest

Well, offhand, her diet is going to be the thing that makes the most difference in terms of her losing weight. She's far enough out that if she focuses on eating real foods - meat and fruit and nuts and veggies, nothing processed - she should be able to see some significant changes without too much effort. This has two benefits: one, it's incredibly nutrient dense; two, real foods tend to rank much higher in terms of satiety. Meaning that she will be full on less calories, thus inducing weight loss.

At least, that's what the math says. I've observed much the same.

How about keeping it simple? If she wants to loose weight she has to eat less then she 'burns'. So eating less is the first step. Getting lots of protein and some sport/exercises while not eating TOO little will help to have most of the lost weight from fat and not muscles. And finally as already mentioned switching to 'healthy' food will also help.

I'd say thats all there is ;).

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

Hey! I'm going to second, third, however many the paleo. Cut down on the carbs and initially there should be a rather substantial weight loss. I usually lose five pounds in the first week whenever I start back on after a falling off the wagon. Also, toning up doesn't require a gym membership! I found I was doing my best when I went running every day... Utilizing the outdoors challenges your body in ways a machine can't. Diet is probably 80% of weight loss. Also, go crazy on the water. It will benefit her body in more ways than just weight loss! If she's like a lot of women, she's probably stressing with the wedding... Make sure she takes time for herself and doesn't emotionally snack. If she's tempted, she should make some low calorie snacks to keep in her fridge like pre-cut veggies or greek yogurt cups. Sleep is essential...

Archived