Forums are back in action! ×

Hey there, my name is Bill. I've been reading NF and lurking on the forums for a few months now, so I figured it was time to actually pop in and introduce myself. I work as a systems administrator for a natural foods retailer (take a guess...you'll get it on the first try).

My goals are fairly simple, I'm looking to get into better shape and lose the extra weight I've been carrying around for years. At a little over 5'9", I hit my all time high around August 2009, at 239 lbs. Shortly after that, my girlfriend and I tried out the South Beach Diet (go ahead, laugh if you must!) which really worked out. I got down to 201 lbs. over 8 months, but then I found myself visiting my old friend Beer a little too often, and I'm now back up to 220.

I think what really kept me from hitting my goal and subsequently putting back on half of what I lost was a lack of regular exercise. This time around, I plan to include exercise in addition to changing my eating habits, and I'm hoping to stick to my changes more than the year that I stuck with them last time.

Anyhow, that's my story. See you around!

"When I was your age, Pluto was still a planet."

Twitter: @bill_clark

Hi, Thwackd! What kind of activity do you want to do? Conditioning is a must, absolutely, but there are so many variations, from walking to running to biking to jumping around like a squirrel on crack (or whatever those assassins do). Pick something that sounds fun, and go for it!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Hi Thwackd! I'm in a similar situation in many ways. I've done bursts of exercise, but nothing really sustained over a longer period, so I put on much of the weight I lose.

So far, I'm enjoying the 28 day challenges. I plan on stringing a few together, each progressively harder, so that I keep myself regularly active for a much longer period. Spezzy, one of the moderators, is a great example of that being done.

Welcome to NF as more than a lurker! I look forward to chatting with you.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies :) I suppose I should have mentioned a little about my exercise plans. I was working on a project for work and writing that in my downtime between server restarts (it never ends!!!), and completely forgot about that.

Anyhow, that said, I actually own an elliptical and just recently purchased a kettlebell, so I'll be using that as the basis for my workouts. My plans are to start small, 15 minutes warmup on the elliptical, a few stretches, some kettlebell swings, overhead squats, and kettlebell military presses, then another 30 minutes on the elliptical. I'll probably change that up a bit, but those are my initial thoughts.

"When I was your age, Pluto was still a planet."

Twitter: @bill_clark

Kettleballs, eh?

We are hoping to have a Kettleball skill for Rangers, but I know nothing about it. Mind doing some research for us? : ) We need 6 levels ranging from can-be-accomplished-with-a-month-of-effort to epic. Interested?

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins