Forums are back in action! ×

Another Delurking Newbie!

I see that a new challenge is starting next week, so I really ought to de-lurk and start participating, rather than consuming without contributing.

So, a little bit about myself and my fitness journey, though I truly am at the first steps on what I plan to be a lengthy road. Obviously, I go by Carnation. Mid-thirties, female, rather overweight (170lbs at 5'7"). A few too many comments in too short a period earlier this summer convinced me that although I'm fine being female and I can't do anything about my age, it's time to deal with the overweight part.

So, I joined a gym near my office, signed up for some sessions with a trainer, browsed the Internet to try and figure out what in the world that exercise with the broomstick that the trainer showed me was called, ended up here, and spent a month or two lurking!

The idea of compiling dozens of statistics about my progress is appealing to me, since that's what I do all day at work, pretty much. (And at home, to a certain extent - would you like to know how often my bus was on time in the past month? I've got numbers for that.) The community here is also appealing - someone else here described their situation as "single player mode," and that pretty much describes me right now.

I'm not sure my nerd cred is really strong enough for this site (the last time I played any games with stats like DEX and CON involved was in the 90's, and I really could take or leave Star Wars, either way) but I'm hoping y'all will be nice enough and squint hard enough to see what cred I do have (computer science degree, IT job, previously mentioned obsessive bus statistics).

Anyway, I've gone on long enough, so let me close by saying thank you for having such a great forum, and I hope I can live up to the high standards here!

(Oh, and regarding the bus: 0% of the time.)

"Where there's mystery, there's hope."

-- Sliders

Sliders quote = WELCOME to NF, you're clearly all right! :) Gosh, I miss that show.

Way to go with your efforts already to get yourself hooked up with a gym and a trainer! Though I must ask...what WAS that exercise with the broomstick?? The curiosity, it's killing me...

Glad to have you! Look forward to seeing you around the forums. Have you considered what Guild you might join for the upcoming challenge?

Thanks for the good words! As best as I can tell, the broomstick exercise was a body weight squat. (The trainer had me hold the broomstick behind my bad to help with my ... posture? Form? I'm not sure which word applies more.) I changed trainers after a few weeks, and the new one hasn't done the broomstick squats yet, although he's quite fond of lunges and dumbbell rows, both of which I recognized thanks to NF! It was a little pathetic how excited I was to recognize them.

I think that right now I'd fit best as the weight loss sort of Adventurer, hopefully to become a Scout at some point, since I've always been fondest of exercise that propels you somewhere.

Strangely enough, my husband was looking for the baseball game on TV tonight and came across a Sliders episode!

"Where there's mystery, there's hope."

-- Sliders

Archived