Forums are back in action! ×

Hear ye, hear ye, Rebels and Nerds!

Hello all!

I am a Brooklynite turned Memphian (random, yes, thanks Teach For America!)

I discovered this site completely by accident about 36 hours ago and it is already transforming my life. I LOVE the approach and the articles. Since leaving college, my dorkiness has been left in the dust as I have pursued a career and a relationship with God. However, I have gotten into fitness in the past year, but never in a way that sticks.

Then THIS SITE!!!

Oh man! Can I say again how I LOVE LOVE LOVE the articles and the approach? Never have I viewed heath and fitness as something fun and to be intertwined with the media I love!

CAN YOU TELL?!?! I'm excited!

I don't have a lot of time to go to the gym proper since I work and am busy with various church-related stuff/friends at night, so I was really convicted about that whole "stop saying you don't have enough time!" part of the Rebellion Rules. I did the Angry Birds workout for the first time this morning, I love it! I love being able to treat it like a game and "level up" :)

Also, I didn't eat any sugary snackaroos today. One small step for (wo)man....

Um... what else? My goals! I just want to be fit! I want the body I want and I want to stay motivated. Approach? Focus on getting strong and eating right and hope that the body follows suit! Weight? Does that matter? I am 145lb at 5' 5". If that could all be muscle, I'd be a happy chick.

I am working to be able to do more powerlifting. My PRs right now are:

Squats: 135lbs

Deadlift: 175lbs

Benchpress: 75lbs (WIMPY!)

EDIT: Since this posting, I tried doing squats and now see I am more able to do 90 comfortably, LOL

As for the nerd in me? I was raised on all things nerd (Star Trek, Monty Python, anything sci-fi, etc, etc). For games, personally I love the old Lucasarts adventure point-n-click games like mad (Monkey Island FTW!). Also, FFVII was purdy rad :)

So... that's it! Is there anything else I'm supposed to write? Until then...

Peace, love, and barbells,

MG aka "the_griff"

Sidenote... how do I figure out my profession??

Welcome to the rebellion griff! We're glad to have ya! For info check out the FAQ section to read up on the classes

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17753-Real-Life-Roleplaying-Making-Your-NF-Character-and-Updating-Your-Signature

And one for the challenges:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17755-Real-Life-Roleplaying-Attribute-Points-and-the-Challenges

Poke around, ask questions, and level up!

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Welcome!! :) Loved reading your intro. Sounds like you're already taking some great steps!

Also, FFVII was purdy rad :)

YESH. J loves this game and has wanted a copy FOREVER, but it is very hard to find around here. We'd been searching every game store we encountered in the state, for years, with no luck. Then last winter, I stopped in to our local store randomly one afternoon, and lo! There, upon the high shelf behind the counter! A used, near-mint copy of FFVII beckoned, bathed in shiny glow from above. It was meant to be and I immediately inquired if it was for sale, which it was. For the low, low price of $70. I bought it on the spot and became the best partner ever come Christmas morning. Watching a grown man giggle opening a video game, and then playing said video game all. the. time. for the next several weeks saying over and over again how epic FFVII is? Totally worth $70. :)

Welcome to the show! You're not that far from me, at least not as a nerd travels.

Nice job on skipping the sugary stuff today! That's the key, just taking it one day at a time!

Oh and with a sig like "Peace, love and barbells" (which I love, by the way) I'm going to say you're a warrior, but then I could be biased.

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Sam: Thank you for the welcome! I am hoping these good steps turn into walking, consistent walking. Looking forward to that challenge on Monday!!! :D

Yes, yes, and yes!!! Oh man, FFVII was like the BEST storyline ever, so engaging! Sure, I had to recruit the help of my then man-friend to help me beat the game since I was in way over my head. But, it was so good. So rewarding!

Also, cool pic! What is tatted on your arms?

Max: Thanks! If you're in Jackson, no not far at all! Oh man, a co-worker brought in all these cookies and cakes on Monday from her family reunion and I've been dying every time I go by them. It takes EVERYTHING not to eat any!! It's true, like all of life, it's just gotta be one day at a time...

Nice avatar. Are you a warrior because you bare-knuckle-box bears?

Ha, actually, I just liked the picture, it has become part of my persona around here though, so I'm always lining up bears to fight for my public appearance. Yeah, we're liable to have to put together a southeast meetup for all the nerds. I like it!

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Welcome! Im from northwest GA, so welcome to the South :P Continue to take small steps and work on those PR's and I bet you will be fit in no time!

P.S FFVII-FFX <3

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

Welcome!

And to just stir it up and make it a debate, VII was great. It was. But VI/III was legendary.

I've got an issue with the sugary stuff myself. One of my diet goals here in the upcoming challenge is doing to be to eliminate anything but natural sugars(no natural sweetners added to things either). But like they said, one day at a time. And nice PRs, you beat out my workout buddy in all three categories.

Level 1 Male Orc Adventurer Str 3|Dex 2|Sta 2|Con 2|Wis 4|Cha 2

MyFitnessPal[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]My Challenge

-When your base is ashes, then you have my permission to GG.-

Archived