Forums are back in action! ×

I've gotta step up.

And that's why I'm here.

I've always been overweight. I've fluctuated between caring and not caring.

Though it has always frustrated me that I feel like people think less of me because of my weight, I've been able to write off my worries. After all, I'm healthy--at least as healthy as you can be at my weight (about 115kg at 5'10"). I've got a great (and great-looking) girlfriend. And, I suppose because I've been heavy my whole life, it kind of 'suits' me.

But now I'm 28, and all of a sudden I care.

I started a few months ago, when I began studying to be a high school teacher. I want to be fit for the job. I want to be able to participate in sporting events without being out of breath two minutes in. I want to look great for my partner.

More than anything, I want my exterior to match my interior.

For those few months, I've been doing weights consistently and cardiovascular sporadically. The weights have been remarkable, if only because using them has shown me what my body is capable of--my arms are enormous, and strong, and my shoulders are beefed up. That progress has kept me going. I find the exercises I've been doing enjoyable and satisfying--a real shock for someone who used to get bored after just a few seconds on the treadmill. (The two keys for me: playing Madden during the warm up and cool down, blasting aggressive hip-hop when I get serious).

My goal: 90kg or so (though I don't really care about weight as much as appearance), Carlos Boozer arms and shoulders, to be fit and healthy but still look like me (I definitely don't want the weird lollipop look formerly fat men get when they lose weight without exercising).

Above all else, I've got to fix my diet. I had a Domino's pizza for lunch today, and I made a big Turkish pide for dinner. No wonder all the physical results I've seen are on my extremities, rather than my tummy.

My hope is that by sticking around here, I'll be more likely to keep on the dietary straight and narrow. Dropping all the bread and pasta is going to be tough. It's good to know there are folks out there struggling with the same thing.

Archived