Forums are back in action! ×

Hejsan kids!

Sarah from Stockholm, Sweden here. Don't know if it's because I miss me a nice home slice, but the fitblog shiznit has buzzed its way into my system... Ok, I can't be too weird just yet, lol.

Little background- originally from SoCal, but have moved all over the place. Not really good at staying in one place, and I am a complete commitment-phobe when it comes to most things (except my diet/workouts). Started with ballet when I was 3 and started swimming competitively when I was 5. By the time I was 13, I realized I was never going to get any taller (I stand at 160 cm), so I gave up Junior Olympics and decided to pursue other sports. With this, I started to barrel-race on horses, play tennis, and be a rockstar cradle-r in lacrosse who always got called for head-butting my puny opponents (ok, that's a lie, more like I would use my fat ass to get the ball--was a wing). Basically, a former math-lete (yes, I was that kid that took AP Calc freshman year), aggressive athlete, and a sarcastic party animal, who ended up going to college in New Orleans and became an even more shitfaced version of the person I was in high school.

Fast track graduation and all of the milestones that most American tots go through, I moved around some more (San Antonio, Martha's Vineyard, you name it) and finally settled in NYC. I REALLY got into running and various other sports while living there (yes, I was that person running at 4:30 in the morning every day around the loop in Central Park) and while I loved every minute of living there, the commitment-phobe in me decided to make a dramatic appearance, and I ended up in Akureyri, Iceland, taking pictures of puffins. Long story short, with getting run over by a car in London while jogging (on my second day, really?) and going through Don Simons in Barcelona like juice, I've decided to grow up and settle in Stockholm. Here, I continue to run, spin, paddleboard, do weird band/crossfit exercises, and be the energetic Dory-wannabe. Feel free to hollaaaaaaaaa if you have any questions (I've legit gone through every diet possible- vegan, paleo, atkins, etc- it's a challenge thing) and/or if.. you're just bored, ha. I promise I'm not THAT crazy.

Oh, and of course, goal in life? Backpack through South America and drink some more delish vino.

Thanks! Actually on a more serious note, the thing I struggle the most with is NOT going to the gym. I'm that kid that ran 18 miles without realizing I had fractured my ankle three weeks prior and have a hard time staying put. Any suggestions? Also, maybe it's a female thing, but I have a hard time not exercising if I've had my Swedish farmor (gma)'s kanelbulle (Swedish cinnamon bread thing--that after hanging with puff the magic dragon = better than sleeping with Ryan Reynolds, no joke) that day..? The guilt is a total damper. Thoughts?

Hejsan! How long have you lived in Sweden, by the way?

Welcome to the Rebellion. Oh and I'm jealous of you moving around like that!

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

Thanks! Actually on a more serious note, the thing I struggle the most with is NOT going to the gym. I'm that kid that ran 18 miles without realizing I had fractured my ankle three weeks prior and have a hard time staying put. Any suggestions? Also, maybe it's a female thing, but I have a hard time not exercising if I've had my Swedish farmor (gma)'s kanelbulle (Swedish cinnamon bread thing--that after hanging with puff the magic dragon = better than sleeping with Ryan Reynolds, no joke) that day..? The guilt is a total damper. Thoughts?

Well, it honestly sounds like you're not listening to your body. I know exactly what you mean about feet and breakage and the like: I've got a stress fracture in my third meta-tarsal on the left foot. It's a repetitive stress injury, which means that if it's not walking, I can't do it and expect it to heal.

It sucks. But it's a matter of choosing an ultimately short term inconvenience over a long term problem. I find keeping that mindset helps me to focus through the slow times. And besides, this is actually that one time when machines like the elliptical and the bike are useful for conditioning.

As for guilt-exercise? Well, I mean. That's a far better coping mechanism than "F*ck it, I'm gonna go full bore and eat all the things." At the same time, though, exercising to burn calories isn't... well, it isn't fun. Maybe a way around that would be to exercise before you partake of awesome Swedish cinnamon bread thingy? At least then all the sugar is serving a purpose in refilling glycogen stores, and you can sleep it off and let your body do the hard work as opposed to you...

it's a thought.

@Tocho- I've been here for almost 3 months now..? FINALLY got the Skatteverket/Migration Board stuff in order- holy crap, they like to make life difficult. BTW, what is up with this rental market in Sthlm? I can barely commit to a city- I definitely ain't buyin' an apt! Other than that, Sweden has been amazing- have never seen so many beautiful, tall people in my life! Oh, and just so you know, even the rabbits running around here are taller than American ones...

@Kishi- Thanks! Yeah, I have a hard time telling whether or not I'm seriously hurt when I'm exercising. I'm used to things aching and clicking, so I usually just shake it off and continue my routine. I feel like finding that right balance between gym and other things (friends, work, etc) is also something I always struggle with, no matter the city... Wish there was a formula to make all of this easier!

@Tocho- I've been here for almost 3 months now..? FINALLY got the Skatteverket/Migration Board stuff in order- holy crap, they like to make life difficult. BTW, what is up with this rental market in Sthlm? I can barely commit to a city- I definitely ain't buyin' an apt! Other than that, Sweden has been amazing- have never seen so many beautiful, tall people in my life! Oh, and just so you know, even the rabbits running around here are taller than American ones...

Ah okay. And yeah, they love making lives more difficult than they need to be. And I've got no idea about the rental market of Sthlm. You mean that it's difficult to get an apartment?

And Swedes are descendants of Vikings, so of course we're tall and beautiful!

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

Archived