Forums are back in action! ×

Another Level 1 newbie with a wooden sword and delusions of grandeur!

Hi, I'm Dajve and I want to be a Ninja. I'd say that's a metaphorical ninja, but it would be fairer to say I'm not expecting to be a fantastical ninja, nor am I looking to train in one of the many "Ninja Training Academies" that seem to spring up everywhere. Rather, in keeping with the spirit of this site and community, I'm going to be levelling up my life in the 18 disciplines of Ninjutsu (obviously in an order of practicality and logistical feasibility - unarmed combat and spiritual refinement are considerably higher on the list than learning Kusarigama techniques!). It's going to take a long (long!) time, and I may not reach Level 50, but even if I don't, I'll be getting a diverse range of fun and interesting training and education which will be beneficial in all aspects of my life. And besides, how awesome would it be to reach Level 50, look in the mirror and see a ninja staring back?!

Anyway, enough rambling about where I want to be and a little about me now:

• My name's Dajve Green, I'm 31 years old and live near York in the UK
  • I'm 5'8" (nearly ;o) ), ~126lb, 7-7.5% body fat, and RHR of ~45bpm
  • In case you couldn't guess, I do a lot of running!
  • My day-job is a web developer (I'm one of those lucky people who actually enjoy their job!)
  • I'm a big fan of sci-fi (my Doctor was Sylvester McCoy) and fantasy (AD&D all the way), so this community is right up my street!
  • I'm really OCD, but thankfully not to the point it affects my day-to-day life (well, nothing I can't handle, anyway!)
  • I have a tendency to use parentheses way too much when I write.

I was always active as a kid (dancing for 9 years, school football [soccer ;o)] and basketball teams etc) and into my early 20s when I took up Tae Kwon Do, but I hit a rough spot around 24; long story short, I made some under-researched, spur-of-the-moment decisions and ended up homeless and bankrupt for a while (but managed to keep employed, thankfully). Combined with the depression I've suffered from since my teens, I ended up putting on weight; developing some destructive habits (not least of which was alcohol); and generally lost my way. I did have some interesting adventures and created a number of memories which have made me who I am now, though, so at least there are some positives.

In January, I decided to get back into shape again (I'd done this a few times in the past with varying degrees of short-lived success), starting out at 175lb and ~27% body fat; I also gave up the booze (sober since Jan 8th, which is possibly my biggest accomplishment of this lifestyle change, to be honest). The first few weeks were a pretty much calorie-sparse veg and fruit diet (could have been worse for a crash diet, but still not great), followed by taking up running to prevent my metabolism dropping too low.

In February I started keeping a daily log of my calorie intake using Calorie Count, as well as using RunKeeper to track my activity. Slowly, I fell in love with running and started seeing it less as a chore, which led to a lot of research and a healthier all-round diet.

Despite hitting my weight loss target (and then some) a while ago, I've unsurprisingly maintained a distance runner's body, so was moving onto the strength / speed portion of my training plan when I came across this site a week or so ago (while researching the Paleo diet, actually). Since then, I've read about half the articles on here (thanks in large part to being on holiday at the time!) and incorporated a lot of the advice into my overall daily routine. The net result is that I've had more energy (both physically and mentally) than I can remember for a long time, as well as more enthusiasm, ideas and optimism about where I'm heading in life.

But yeah, I've probably gone on for long enough now so I guess I should just say "Hi!", "Thanks for having me", and go roll up a character sheet for the 6-week challenges!

Welcome and have fun! :)

You have already achieved quited a bit.. can't wait to see your goals for the 6 week challenge!

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

Hi esteel =o)

Cheers! Yeah, I'm pretty proud of what I've managed this year (though I'm lucky to have a girlfriend who's been with me on her own similar journey since day 1 - couldn't have done it without her) but, as Steve says "there's always a bigger dragon, on a bigger mountain" and I'm looking forward to tackling that one next, with the added support from everyone here =o)

As for my 6 week challenge? I've just got to writing it up in the Ranger forum here.

Thanks for the interest and the welcome.

Interesting story! Glad to see youre doing well for yourself now and youre making a big step in the right direction by getting your health in line. Welcome!

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

I know a few people who study Ninjutsu plus an Genbukan instructor. I also know a bit of it myself and would love to help you with your journey.

Cheers - I always appreciate learning more from others who have the experience. That said, I'm not looking to study Ninjutsu as it's taught in schools, per se, as much as taking the 18 disciplines and crafting my own goals around them. So, for example, I'll be starting the hand-to-hand combat element with Tae Kwon Do, as I already have a few years behind me, and following it up with Hap Ki Do for the softer side (I had a few lessons cross-training with TKD and really like both the style and ethos). Another example would be the spiritual side, in which I'll be focusing on meditation, taking time out alone in the countryside (I really overlook the area I live in too much) etc. But yeah, give me a shout if you wanted to chat - I'd definitely appreciate the input =o)

Archived