Forums are back in action! ×

Another Book Club Idea

Oogiem

I'm sure in for the big group read of whatever book wins the voting. But it occurred to me that some of the books that far fewer folks want to read could be accommodated if we start a thread for each book separately. This would be in addition to the big NF book club more of a mini group.

I'm a serial reader, usually have 4-6 books in process at any given time and have been rolling along at a 9 books a month pace on average but heading in to winter when I usually start getting 10-15 per month finished so making them ones others are reading and discussing them is easy and could be fun.

Just to throw some more ideas into the pot here. :)

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

This could be a lot of fun! I am also a serial reader, always have 3-4 books going at a time, usually of different types/genres. I think having a thread for some specific books in the book club forum is fine. If threads fizzle out because no one is talking about them anymore, Admins could archive those to make room for new ones. Kindof like having our own mini-Goodreads inside of NF. NFers could start a group over on GoodReads, too, and have the threads over there for the books if the Admins don't want too many book threads. Regardless of how it all works, I think it is super awesome that NF is getting some book-related stuff going. :)

10-15 books/month? I salute you. :) I set a goal to read 48books this year, and I'm trucking right along on that. I mostly read at night, before bed...it helps me sleep. Except when I read about zombies attacking a house in the night. :P

I like this idea and then I dont like this idea. Its a great idea, but what would you do if you read the book this month along with 3 other people but then you had 3 other readers who finished at the 2 month mark, 3 month mark, and 5 month mark? Would everyone still be willing to discuss the book 5 months later? Thats the only reason I am against the idea because although I love reading, I also have to study and I do enjoy my college football/video games and I am sure there are other people like me.

10-15 books a month is amazing btw!

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

Good point. I know there is another forum that I participate in that has a book club on occasion and they still get comments on the older books read. What tends to happen there is the readers come in batches. First batch reads a book and comments, then the thread is dormant for a while, then a second batch comes along and they tend to discuss among them selves for a while on that thread and so on. Occasionally folks who read it first come back and participate but not always. It's a lot more free-form that way. It seems to work but also the only types of books that are read there are business books. That may make a difference because often the discussions are useful even if old when it's relating to how to run or manage a business.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Archived