Forums are back in action! ×

Challenge Questions (newb level...)

Odyssey

So I'm still very new to NF, especially the challenge aspect, but I'm jumping in with both feet.

That said, I went ahead and made a journal post last night. Thing is I apparently had some bloat going on since my weight dropped 4lbs. I know I didn't eat well the day before, nor did I drink enough water which usually does lead to a bloat, but 4 pounds seems extreme. I double, or rather triple checked this morning. Reset the scale and it was the same. None of my goals are weight related (though it is a hopeful side effect), so do I change my official start number since today is day one or go ahead and leave it since I'm not grading myself on scale number?

Other odd questions:

What is proper etiquette for participating in the challenge? I figure supporting others consists of encouraging posts, so your personal journal post is more than just a log of activities right?

Also, is it kosher to keep a battle log at the same time, or does it generally work out that the battle log is more precise while the challenge board is more of a journal? Does it even matter?

I figure this first challenge will be about figuring out how I fit in and how to make it work for me, but I'd like a bit of perspective from a few masters.

LVL 3 Animagus Ranger
STR: 8.8 | DEX: 5.6 | STA: 6.25 | CON:8.55 | WIS: 6 | CH: 6

"Today is not tomorrow." -Unknown
Third Challenge: Victorious Valentine
Current Maxes(Female 160lb bwt): OHP 110x2, Squat 265x1, DL 275x1 , BP 140x1

I'm no master by any means but I'll answer your questions from my experience over the last 4 challenges...

Weight can fluctuate quite a bit during the day, did you weigh yourself at the same time of day? If yes, then I would just note the change and move on.

The challenge thread that you made is for tracking your challenge goals. The battle log section is if you'd like to keep an ongoing workout log here. It's really up to you how you treat each thread, some people keep a workout log and copy-paste it to their challenge thread, and others keep the log and just give a general description of what they did in the challenge thread.

like if my log says "4 pull-ups on the minute for 4 minutes"

my challenge thread could say "4 pull-ups on the minute for 4 minutes"

or it could just say "did pull-up workout on Monday"

also, some people already have a workout log somewhere else so they don't keep any here.

And still other people just use the challenge thread as their workout log and don't keep any other records.

So long story short... It's pretty much up to you. Try something out, if you don't like it, try something else.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

Other odd questions:

What is proper etiquette for participating in the challenge? I figure supporting others consists of encouraging posts, so your personal journal post is more than just a log of activities right?

Also, is it kosher to keep a battle log at the same time, or does it generally work out that the battle log is more precise while the challenge board is more of a journal? Does it even matter?

I figure this first challenge will be about figuring out how I fit in and how to make it work for me, but I'd like a bit of perspective from a few masters.

1) Big thing is keeping track of your progress. Second big thing is encouraging others along their way too.

2) Sure! Battle logs and challenge threads are ompletely fine and many members keep both.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Thanks for the assistance guys. I'll probably end up with both then, as I think I'll do best with a continuous log and I doubt anyone wants to read every aspect of my workout and diet in the challenge. I'm definitely looking forward to this challenge, mostly to see if I can handle this.

LVL 3 Animagus Ranger
STR: 8.8 | DEX: 5.6 | STA: 6.25 | CON:8.55 | WIS: 6 | CH: 6

"Today is not tomorrow." -Unknown
Third Challenge: Victorious Valentine
Current Maxes(Female 160lb bwt): OHP 110x2, Squat 265x1, DL 275x1 , BP 140x1

Archived